How do I unlock a Rogers iphone 3g without having a Rogers Sim card?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ckl166, Aug 16, 2009.

1. ckl166 macrumors newbie

I am completely new to jailbreaking/unlocking iphones, have only jailbroken an ipod touch before. I live in the US (ATT) and recently bought an iphone 3g from someone in canada, locked to Rogers.

I know I have to unlock it so I can use it with ATT, and my question is, during the jailbreaking or unlocking process, am I going to have to access the springboard at any time? Because I am scared that whenever I turn on the iphone its going to say something like "insert a rogers sim card or you cant use the phone" and then I wont even be able to do anything with it. Should I buy a rogers sim card from somewhere just to be safe?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    When you run redsn0w to jailbreak the device it will hacktivate the phone if it isn't already legitimately activated. Then when the jailbreak is done, you have access to the springboard and cydia to download ultrasn0w to unlock the phone.

3. ckl166 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. The phone hasn't been activated, do I need to make sure the iphone is a certain os, or firmware or baseband before I run redsnow? or is that just for unlocking?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

See this link and it'll answer all your questions:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2311

5. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

6. superflush macrumors 6502a

I would update to the latest version (3.0.1) before you jailbreak + unlock.