Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckl166

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I am completely new to jailbreaking/unlocking iphones, have only jailbroken an ipod touch before. I live in the US (ATT) and recently bought an iphone 3g from someone in canada, locked to Rogers.

I know I have to unlock it so I can use it with ATT, and my question is, during the jailbreaking or unlocking process, am I going to have to access the springboard at any time? Because I am scared that whenever I turn on the iphone its going to say something like "insert a rogers sim card or you cant use the phone" and then I wont even be able to do anything with it. Should I buy a rogers sim card from somewhere just to be safe?

ckl166

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
ok. The phone hasn't been activated, do I need to make sure the iphone is a certain os, or firmware or baseband before I run redsnow? or is that just for unlocking?

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
ok. The phone hasn't been activated, do I need to make sure the iphone is a certain os, or firmware or baseband before I run redsnow? or is that just for unlocking?

I would update to the latest version (3.0.1) before you jailbreak + unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.