how do I unlock files in NAS drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ErikJ, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ErikJ macrumors newbie

Hi
    I hope I am in the correct forum for this.
    I have 2 macs (G4 1250) on a network with a Buffalo NAS Linkstation Pro Duo which most of the time works perfectly. However when one of the macs crashes some files on the NAS are locked and can not be written to. The get info permissions says either ' you can read only' or sometimes 'you have custom access' and offers no way of changing it.
    I would be quite happy to turn off permissions as there are no other computers and no internet connection to this network. Otherwise if someone could tell me how to unlock the files I would be very grateful.
    I am running OS 10.5.5
    Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
    regards Erik

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use a buffalo linkstation. When I transfer files from sd card from my digital camera, I get errors. A file is created on the linkstation then it is replaced by the real file during the copy. Now I have a new method of copying. I copy from SD card to a local usb drive. Then I pick the entire folder and copy and paste it to the linkstation. I don't get "locked files" in the middle of a copy any more. I have never had any crashes so I don't know what your issue might be but I do know that the linkstation has some peculiar ways of handling file locking. It makes no sense whatsoever to let me create a 0 length file during a copy and then tell me a few seconds later that the file is locked when I get around to sending the data.