How do I unlock my iphone 2.2.1 2g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gr81mgbgt, Jan 28, 2009.

1. gr81mgbgt macrumors regular

I cannot figure it out. I'm stuck with the hook up to i tunes and activate.

Its a 2g with 2.2.1 firmware.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

As far as I know you can't.

Yet.

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

When the jailbreak for 2.2.1 comes out you will be able to unlock, permitting you are on a 2G.

4. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

when should that be? can i downgrade to 2.0.2?

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You don't. You always need to wait for iPhoen Dev team to retool their applications. :)

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Dev Team are not giving any ETAs, but I should expect in the next week or so, considering it's not a massive update. It will probably slow down the iPod touch 2G JB though. they are the iPhone Dev Team after all! :p

7. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

so by next week, or so i would be able to unlock and jailbreak it with quickpwn?

I tried it with quickpwn a minute ago, and it would not work. Should it work with the next update with quickpwn?

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Can't he/she just unlock without jailbreaking....He's on a 2G so the baseband isn't updated from the 2.0 unlock.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You need to JB first to Unlock. :)

10. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

So it will work in a week or so with quickpwn?

11. happypappy macrumors regular

The phone needs to be jailbroken in order to use yellow snow

12. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

can you jailbreak your iphone if your with att?

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Wrong. You do not need yellowsn0w for the 2G, which he has. And yellowsn0w will only work on the 2.2.1 update if you create a custom ipsw which will NOT update the baseband. Updating the baseband will 'fill the hole' that yellowsn0w uses.

14. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

You can jailbrwak your phone no matter what the network.

Yes. When they release it.

15. LoMonkey macrumors regular

If you absolutely need your phone right now, you can downgrade to 2.2 or 2.0.2 if you want, and rejailbreak it. It will only for work 2G phones because the modem shouldn't have been updated, so you can unlock it again.
    Just option-click "Restore" in iTunes and choose your firmware (I would recommend 2.2) and restore, then use QuickPwn to jailbreak.

16. gr81mgbgt thread starter macrumors regular

It will not work, i don't know why. What am i doing wrong?

17. muscleNerddev macrumors newbie

Unlock with Rebel simcard 100% working

I like the new update version 2.2.1 updated accidentally phone got locked again yellowSnow dint fix the problem so I tried the Rebel simcard 100% working with my phone try it

18. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

What won't work? It's hard to answer "what am I doing wrong?" when you don't say what you're doing.

Have you tried option-restore (Mac) or shift-restore (Windows) and picked the older 2.2 firmware? Once you have that you can unlock with QuickPwn

19. trafalgargirl macrumors newbie

I seem to be having somewhat the same problem. I have the iTunes and USB connector on my iPhone 2G. It's originally an US phone and was previously unlocked without any trouble. I was trying to erase the data today and accidentally hit restore instead. I currently have a Rogers (not AT&T) SIM card in there.

I tried doing the option restore with the custom firmware, but when I did that I received an error.

Any suggestions???:eek:

20. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, tell us what the error was.

Or put the phone into DFU mode and start again from scratch.

21. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Having the same problem with a 2G iPhone - need help!

I have a 2G iPhone that was previously pwned with version 1.4 of the iPhone firmware. No problems.

My son wanted to upgrade to firmware/software version 2 so we could load some apps on the phone. However, it appears that he did not upgrade the phone to version 2.2.1 firmware before he started the pwnage process.

He did download the iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw firmware from somewhere on the internet. When he started to use PwnageTool, version 2.2.5 it asked him to find/download 2 other files, base39? and base46?, which he found and the PwnageTool accepted and then created a custom restore firmware for the phone.

Plugged the iphone into itunes and he forgot to use option-click on the restore button, so I assume the custom restore firmware was not selected.

Now the problem I have is that the phone is stuck in recovery mode (itunes icon and usb plug constantly showing on the iphone screen), and when the phone is plugged into itunes it tells me that it needs to be restored however none of my .ipsw files will work, neither the custom restore my son created nor the original 2.2.1 file nor any of the old version 1.4 firmware files.

The situation I now have is the following:

PwnageTool is unable to enter DFU mode because I cannot turn off the phone - it just keeps rebooting into the screen with the itunes icon and the usb plug.

iTunes will ask to restore the phone however none of the .ipsw files will restore it and iTunes will provide an error message of either 9, 20 or 21 depending on which .ipsw files I choose to perform the restore.

I have rebooted my Macbook Pro and also have tried using the other usb port however this has not solved the problem.

Any suggestions?

22. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

^^^ So, you cannot turn the phone off at all? Even by force? Try holding power and home for 7 seconds, or just the power button for 10 seconds or so? I'm not sure if this will work, but it will normally force the iPhone to turn off, then you can do a DFU restore. It maybe possible to do a DFU restore where you are now, but I've honestly got no idea, nothing like that has happened to my phone. :(

On a brighter note, JB for 2.2.1 is released! which means you can JB and unlock the iPhone 2G. Just check the 'Unlock' box (if using QuickPwn). See the Dev Teams Blog for download links.

23. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

Able to turn off, still having problems

Thanks for the tip - I held down the power button for 7 seconds and the phone was finally able to shut off. I then synched up to iTunes however I still have the activate screen in iTunes. And now when I power down the phone and turn on again I see the Pwnge Pineapple graphic on startup however the phone then gives me the iTUnes icon and usb cable.

Not sure what I have accomplished and how to go forward from here or how to go backwards and start over. When I am able to put the phone into DFU mode via Pwnage iTunes will give me the option of choosing a restore however none (custom, original 2.2.1, older 1.4 firmware) .ispw files will restore the phone. Keep getting itunes error messages that it will not work.

Any other suggestions?

24. eillenb macrumors newbie

Accidentally upgraded to 2.2.1

I had accidentally upgraded the firmware and it locked my iphone 2g. When I opened up iTunes, it said that my SIM was not compatible. I was in a panic, but I browsed around and I found a new Quickpwn. The version is QuickPwn-225-2 and it works perfectly! Thank God! :D

25. CandyisDandy macrumors newbie

I already had an unlocked iphone 3g and i wanted to jailbreak it but i updated it to 2.2.1 version and now my phone is locked, please help what do i do? :confused::confused: