How Do I Unlock My iPhone 4 Running Version 4.1 & Modem Firmware 02.10.04?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by budachild, Oct 24, 2011.

1. budachild, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

budachild macrumors newbie

Good evening my fellow McRumors,

I have an iPhone 4 that I'd like to sell, which is carrier locked. It's running version 4.1 with 02.10.04 modem firmware [I've never updated the phone since I purchased it last year]. I'd like to know how I can unlock this phone so I can sell it to anyone. But prior to that I'd like to factory restore the phone [of course], so my sensitive information is wiped clean. I'm extremely computer savvy I just need guidance as to how to unlock my phone because I'm new to the iPhone scene.

Hopefully someone can give me a permanent unlock method, if not at least one I can do after a factory restore. I don't know what method to chose, all I know is I'd like the phone to be ready for use as soon as it's in a new owners hands. With all of my stuff gone, and them not having to really do anything other than popping their sim card in, and going on with their day.

Thank you for your time, and patience I really appreciate it my friends.

Have a good night!

Update:

I realize some of you may think I don't want to jailbreak my phone. If it is possible to do so please do let me know as I would prefer that method. In saying so does anyone know the easiest way I can jailbreak my iPhone4 running version 4.1 with 02.10.04 modem firmware, and also unlock it after jail breaking?

The only thing I'd like to be sure of is that the new owner is able to maintain the unlock whenever they reboot the phone. I will let them know not to restore, or update the phone in order to keep it in a jail broken/unlocked state.

Seems better for me to do an erase all, jailbreak, unlock it, and sell it that way.

Regards

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no permanent unlock option for carrier locked iphones.
    Software unlocks using a JB will always go away once you restore/update to offficial firmware.
    Back to your situation the only way it could be unlocked on the firmware version its now is by using a gevey turbo sim.
    You can do an erase all to get all your info wiped from the phone and then sell it as is on 4.1
    Dont restore cause you will be forced to update to 5.0 and on that firmware version there is no unlock option at all. Not with gevey or anything.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since your phone has not been jailbroken, you can restore you phone by;

Setting, general, reset, erase all content and settings.

4. budachild, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

budachild thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies!

Though does anyone know the easiest way I can jailbreak my iPhone4 running version 4.1 with 02.10.04 modem firmware, and also unlock it after jail breaking?

I would rather do an erase all, jailbreak, unlock it, and sell it that way.

The only thing I'd like to be sure of is that the new owner is able to maintain the unlock whenever they reboot the phone. I will let them know not to restore, or update the phone in order to keep it in a jail broken/unlocked state.

Regards

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Again you CANNOT unlock it.
    Only if you purchase a gevey turbo sim.

6. budachild thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow a year later and still no available unlock method via Jailbreak! Well if I can't unlock it can I at least JAILBREAK it? If so what's the easiest way?

Also what's the official Gevey Turbo Sim website? I've googled it and so many sites come up that I cannot tell which one is real, and which ones are fake.

Thank you for your time and patience.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can use greenpoison, redsnow or limerain to jb 4.1
    About gevey I think applenberry website I heard sells legit gevey sims.

8. budachild thread starter macrumors newbie

I take it that each of the Jailbreak methods you menitioned were created by different dev teams. Which one has the best support, runs flawless, good dev team history behind it, and possibly update able in the future?

Also I guess the most important question for me would be which one is completely REVERSIBLE?

Thanks again for your knowledge and support, I hope to one day share some information with you as well in your time of need.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. budachild thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much Mr.Applejuiced that was a very informative read Sir. I've actually read up on quite a bit of tutorials previously before starting this thread. & I must say that one was by far the best I've read. Sadly a lot of garbage is out there tutorial wise.

You previously said:

So a stock firmware restore [eg: forced v5.0 update] via iTunes would still allow me to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 again, though I would lose the ability to ever unlock my phone if a possible unlock via Jailbreak is ever reached correct? [Due to the forced v5.0 update vs having my current v4.1]

It's my knowing that sometimes certain electronics are best kept at their old firmware states, even when any device altering/enhancing releases aren't readily available. Due to the possibility that they may one day be released. Because it's usually the latest firmwares on any electronic device [ie: v5.0 in my case if I updated to it] that cannot be modified. Since most dev teams like to work on older firmware which usually have loop holes, or whatever small windows of opportunity they see in the early releases.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You asked if the JB is reversible not if you will be able to unlock again if you restore to 5.0
    And no if you restore to 5.0 then gevey wont work any more to unlock the device. But you can JB 5.0 even though that will be a tethered JB at the moment only.
    If you want to sell it "unlocked" you will have to stay at 4.1 and buy a gevey or tell the buyer to get a gevey to unlock.
    Noone knows when or if or what they will release in the future, we might see another unlock maybe we never will.

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

What AJ said totally true. However, if your phone has SHSH blob save which I doubt it is, then you don't have to restore to OS5 which loose the Gevey unlock, but rather restore to whichever firmware you have SHSH blobs save.

13. budachild thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong but tethered means you have to Jailbreak your device again upon reboot, and untethered means it's always Jailbroken no matter what right?

My aim is to essentially sell this iPhone 4 so I can get the 4GS. I assume those are shipped with v5.0 pre-installed. If a tethered Jailbreak adds up to a headache/inconvenience of some sort I may just have to keep this phone. Especially if a Gevey Turbo Sim won't work on v5.0. Which is than a future loss for me if I want to sell the 4GS unlocked as well.

How do I know if my phone has this added feature?

Thank you both very much for your consistent support.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Use tiny umbrella to check if you have any blobs saved.
    But if you never used that program before with your phone and never jb it then You won't have any available.

15. budachild thread starter macrumors newbie

No I've never used that program before, never jail broken my phone, or unlocked it. I've kept my iPhone4 running version 4.1 with 02.10.04 modem firmware since I bought it at the end of last year. The only things I've ever done with this phone is purchased 4-5 apps, and downloaded about 10 free ones.

Is it too late for me to use the program your talking about to create those save states?

Also does Jailbreaking compromise the security of my iPhone and any sensitive information on it?

Thanks again.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, pretty much your sol.
    The only blobs you will be able to save now is 5.0
    JB does leave a few holes open for exploitation but they cant be patched with the correct packages installed from cydia.
    Research about changing the ssh password and pdf exploit patch after you JB.