Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
hey all,

I'm trying to sell my copy of Tiger that I bought back in May because my Powerbook has bit the dust, and the computer I'm getting will already have Tiger on it and all the installation discs. The problem is, I can't turn ON my powerbook because one of the problems is the the DC-IN board (the power jack) is burnt out. Suggestions? Thanks.

sps

stoid

macrumors 601
Don't worry about it, it's not anything like the activation the Windows side, it's just a way that Apple keeps track of how many installations of Mac OS X there are, or some such like that. In no way does having Tiger registered to you lower it's resale value.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Yep, there effectively is no OSX registration (the reg screen when you first install it is just to gather information--at least currently it's not in any way linked to your actual install, as there is no serial number and it does no hardware verification like Windows, either). So long as you have a valid license for every computer you have Tiger running on, selling any additional licenses is legit.

In your case, so long as you don't get your broken computer repaired and then start using it without getting a new Tiger license, you're not doing anything wrong and the copy of Tiger you're selling is totally legit. And, in fact, were you to start using your "illegit" Tiger install again, you'd be the one liable, not the buyer, as you'd have no valid license to go with the computer running it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.