Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeeLonMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I've got a related question.
I too want to make this upgrade, but all I can find are complete OS X 10.5 packages in the range of 129$ to 199$.
I also noticed one could buy an upgrade to 10.6 DVD for 29$ and go from 10.4 directly to 10.6.

Why is it so that I can't find an outdated upgrade to 10.5 DVD for a couple of bucks, if the upgrade to 10.6 costs less then 30 dollars?

I'm on G5, so I can't go to 10.6. Only to 10.5 and thats where I want to be. But not for 200 dollars. What is there that I can do?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think you can still buy the Leopard upgrade from Apple but you have to call as it doesn't show on the website.

They are expensive at ebay cause apple doesn't sell them on the website.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've got a related question.
I too want to make this upgrade, but all I can find are complete OS X 10.5 packages in the range of 129$ to 199$.
I also noticed one could buy an upgrade to 10.6 DVD for 29$ and go from 10.4 directly to 10.6.

Why is it so that I can't find an outdated upgrade to 10.5 DVD for a couple of bucks, if the upgrade to 10.6 costs less then 30 dollars?

I'm on G5, so I can't go to 10.6. Only to 10.5 and thats where I want to be. But not for 200 dollars. What is there that I can do?
Apple sold Leopard for $129 (single user) or $199 (family pack), as well as all Mac OS X versions prior (except 10.1, which was free under certain conditions). Snow Leopard is different - Apple lowered the price to $29 to encourage Leopard users who met the requirements to upgrade.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Not so simple, the $29 snow leopard is actually an upgrade license, the full version of snow leopard is $129, just like leopard was

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
10.5 was a major step up from 10.4.11
10.6 was a comparatively minor step up from 10.5.8
That's why the price difference was so much.

Not so simple, the $29 snow leopard is actually an upgrade license, the full version of snow leopard is $129, just like leopard was
Nope. That's wrong.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Nope. That's wrong.

No, he's partly right. Snow Leopard is sold as an upgrade to those who have Leopard already for $29. Technically, however, people with Tiger (10.4) can do a clean install from this disk so you don't need copy of Leopard to do it, even if Apple says you should. Nor do you need the box set which retails for $169. There is no full version per se.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
The poster above is completely right. If you're honest, you will buy the full box set for $169. However, the $29 version (meant for upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard) will upgrade Tiger to Snow Leopard no problems.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think you can still buy the Leopard upgrade from Apple but you have to call as it doesn't show on the website.

They are expensive at ebay cause apple doesn't sell them on the website.

Nope, no Leopard upgrade discs in the system. There was when Leopard was first released but went away fairly quick.

NeeLonMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
Okay, now we all know stuff about 10.6 or not, back to my other question:

What is there that I can do?

Upgrade discs are appearently not available in the Apple Store and aren't sold for a long time. They are hard to find on the internet, because there were probably sold few of them.

Is it possible to use a friends upgrade disc who is on 10.6? (not that I have found such a friend yet) Or a 129$ single user pack? Or the 199$ family pack?

What are my options on this?

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
No, he's partly right. Snow Leopard is sold as an upgrade to those who have Leopard already for $29. Technically, however, people with Tiger (10.4) can do a clean install from this disk so you don't need copy of Leopard to do it, even if Apple says you should. Nor do you need the box set which retails for $169. There is no full version per se.

People with a Mac that shipped with Tiger and have not bought Leopard can upgrade / fresh install with the Snow Leopard £29 *Upgrade* Disk, but this is a violation of the EULA that comes with this copy of Snow Leopard.

It's not a technical issue, but a moral one.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Nope, no Leopard upgrade discs in the system. There was when Leopard was first released but went away fairly quick.
That's incorrect. As recently as 6 months ago, I saw a post from someone who had called the Apple Store (toll free number found online, not a brick & mortar) and purchased a Leopard retail disc for $80.

Or a 129$ single user pack?
No such thing for 10.6 - not sure about your Family Pack price, or if one is available, but I'm thinking no.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
People with a Mac that shipped with Tiger and have not bought Leopard can upgrade / fresh install with the Snow Leopard £29 *Upgrade* Disk, but this is a violation of the EULA that comes with this copy of Snow Leopard.

It's not a technical issue, but a moral one.
That is why I said "technically" he can. His morals are his own decision.

Okay, now we all know stuff about 10.6 or not, back to my other question:

What is there that I can do?

Upgrade discs are appearently not available in the Apple Store and aren't sold for a long time. They are hard to find on the internet, because there were probably sold few of them.

Is it possible to use a friends upgrade disc who is on 10.6? (not that I have found such a friend yet) Or a 129$ single user pack? Or the 199$ family pack?

What are my options on this?
You will have to buy a full Leopard license second hand. They are pricey because it's the last OS for PowerPC. You cannot use Snow Leopard (10.6) on a G5.

For anyone interested, I see they dropped te price of the box set to $129 for Snow Leopard iWork and iLife 11.

NeeLonMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
Thank you all.

I just found a 'friend' who was willing to share me a copy of his 'unused' full install of 10.5 as a .dmg, for the only reason that it would be a faster install when done through .dmg instead of using the fysical DVD.

I thought it would take a lot of worries away from me, doing it this way.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Is it safe to assume that upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard would not delete saved emails, photos, videos and music files? I have a family member with a 2007 aluminum iMac that is running Mac OS X v10.4.11 but wants to upgrade to v10.6.6 and had concerns about losing data in the process.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It should keep everything, though I would highly recommend backing up your personal data, erasing the machine and installing from scratch.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
It should keep everything, though I would highly recommend backing up your personal data, erasing the machine and installing from scratch.
I wish that were possible, but they aren't that computer literate and trying to talk them through the process would just make things worse. The only reason they are even considering the upgrade to Snow Leopard is because it only cost $29.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.