How do I update graphics drivers??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asianondrums, Dec 20, 2011.

1. asianondrums macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 MBP 15' with a Nvidia GeForce GT 330m gpu. Is there a way I can update the driver? I've gone to Nvidia's page and looked up my gpu but the installer says the computer is not compatible. I can't find driver version on my MBP profiler but the installer i downloaded was version 256.02. My graphics driver has never been updated on Snow Leopard but i've updated it on bootcamp with Windows 7. I don't know if the updated driver on win7 affects OSX but if not, id like to updated it for OSX also. Thanks for the replies.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

AFAIK Apple will provide graphics updates via Software Update if they're necessary. You don't need to worry about it.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You don't update GPU drivers in OS X. They are automatically updated by Apple Software Update.

In Windows, I've had problems finding drivers for my AMD 6750M. I have to use AMD beta packages, which don't have the list of approved hardware in the package. Recently, AMD stopped including the .INF driver files in their packages, which prevented me from unzipping the downloads manually and using Windows Device Manager to install them.

I would imagine that you are having a similar problem. When I had my 9600M GT NVIDIA Macbook, I had no problem getting driver updates. It's been a year since I used an NVIDIA MB, so I would first unzip your downloaded driver package and look for a .INF file. If you find one, open Device Manager and install the driver manually. If you don't, I guess you should try downloading the beta drivers from NVIDIA.

5. asianondrums thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok, if thats the case ill just let the software updates do the updating. Thanks

6. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't recommend trying to update graphics drivers by yourself. I tried to update mine manually once (downloaded drivers from nVidia) and ended up in an endless boot loop. My whole system had to be restored. Just don't even mess with that stuff unless you actually know what you're doing.