How do I update iPhone 4 to latest iOS6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MrMister111, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

Wife has an iPhone 4. She's happy on iOS6 as well. However there's a new security update out for iOS6 and 7. She doesn't want iOS7 so how can we update to iOS6 and not 7 please.

Thanks

2. curiosity macrumors regular

There is no official patch for iPhone 4 other than to upgrade to iOS 7.

However, one could jailbreak iOS 6 and install a patch from Cydia. Apparently there is a custom patch available that fixes the bugs: "SSLPatch".
    The repo is http://rpetri.ch/repo

I didn't try it yet and don't recommend anything.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

How do I update iPhone 4 to latest iOS6

Ah that's bad. Sorry not into jailbreaking so that's out to.

I thought I'd read there was an official iOS 6 update for the SSL bug, but didn't know how to update.

So basically it's update to iOS 7 to patch. What about 3GS though? Surely they need an update to?

Is this not it?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6146

It's iOS 6.1.6 but how do I get that in an iPhone 4 officially?

4. curiosity macrumors regular

6.1.6 is only for some devices that can't run iOS 7. Such as iPhone 3GS. I know it sucks knowing there's an iOS 6.1.6, and Apple could easily offer it to iPhone 4 users as well but they want to force you to upgrade to iOS 7. I will jailbreak to avoid upgrading. If you decide to upgrade, I suggest before doing so you use the tool iFaith to save your iPhone 4's "blobs". If you have done that, you can still downgrade at any time even from iOS 7. If you don't do that, iOS 7 is a one-way ticket.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

Not sure at all on jailbreaking and what to do tbh. It's the wife's iPhone she's happy as is. Not bothered at all on updates etc.

How does iOS 7 run on an iPhone 4? Must be slow? I'd have to learn her all again how to use it! Main reason we got her one is for iMessage sending pics/vids was easier!

6. curiosity macrumors regular

I tested iOS 7.0.4 for a while on an iPhone 4. It's usable. Most native apps start and respond a little slower, also the phone app, and notably the keyboard, which is sad. Not sure if average users would suffer too much. Tech enthusiasts might be more affected. iOS 7.1 which is rumored to arrive in march should introduce performance improvements.

I updated my iPad 4 and I didn't like what I saw. But I can't go back. The iPhone 4 has the big advantage that you can go back to earlier iOS versions if you saved their blobs (which does not require jailbreaking).

Another option is to live with the security hole. If you don't use the phone for financial transactions I think it should be quite safe. Some tech sites say the attacker has to be in the same network, for example at unsafe public Wi-Fi hotspots.

7. Johnchapin macrumors member

No iOS 6 patch?

I'm in the same boat of not wanting iOS 7. Since updating to Lion on a MacBook Pro, I have paranoia about needless upgrading to the latest OS's. I don't want to go through a stupid learning curve like Lion again. :(

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

Feedback to Apple

http://apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

You can send feedback to Apple asking that parallel updates are available to people currently using iOS 6. iOS 6.1.6 is available. Unfortunately Apple is only serving it to some devices. Apple is not offering it to all of us still using iOS 6.

I have the same issue on an iPad mini. This afternoon I will visit the Apple store to look at the mini and try to decide if I can tolerate iOS 7. I think my iPad mini will be a stay at home device. At least I can use it sometimes.

I'm very disappointed that Apple refuses to support a device that is still under the manufacturer's one year warranty. The update is not an enhancement. This critical security flaw should never have gone to market.

Good luck with the phone.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Right now, it does't run that well on 7.0.6. But it's very smooth on 7.1.

10. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

Ah that's good to know. So maybe wait for 7.1 then. It's a one way trip though so need to know for certain.

How exactly is it smoother please from current to the 7.1

Thanks

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Animations are faster, less keyboard lag, stuff like that. It just feels faster than 7.0.6.

12. SilentFisher macrumors member

But still it doesn't mean that iOS 7.1 is faster than iOS 6.

13. numlock macrumors 68000

are you saying that as someone that tried out 7.1 on an iphone 4?

my mom has an iphone 4 and ipad 3 both ios 6.1.3

14. SilentFisher macrumors member

I don't need to test to know that. Watch some videos on YT. iPhone 4 is just not meant to handle iOS 7.

15. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Are you implying that the iPad mini doesn't run iOS 7 very well? You are wrong if you are. I have an iPad mini and it runs just fine.

I don't understand the bolded part?

No software is 100% bug free. You are naive to think that it shouldn't of been released with the flaw. This issue was not discovered during the development of iOS 7, but has since been patched.

----------

Videos of iOS 7 or 7.1?

16. SusanK, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

SusanK macrumors 68000

The SSL bug is not exclusive to iOS 7. The issue has been identified in iOS 6.1.3 and OS 10.9.0 and 10.9.1

Apple is careless. I am not naive.

17. SilentFisher macrumors member

Both, 7.1 is a big improvement, but iOS 6 runs much better and smoother. Don't forget it's a a 4 year old phone.

Yes, I'm a user of iPhone 4 and running iOS 6.

18. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

So are you ping to update to v7.1 when it comes out or not?

19. curiosity macrumors regular

I might update. If it's too slow or I don't like it for other reasons, I just go back to iOS 6. Big advantage of iPhone 4.

20. SilentFisher macrumors member

Yes, I'm planning to update my iPhone 4 when 7.1 is out. I know it will be a little bit slower than iOS 6, but I think, new functionalities are worth it.

I was a beta tester of 7.0, that's why i didn't update my phone to 7.0, it's too slow.

21. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

Thought it was a one way street. Didn't know you could roll back. Think I'll wait until v7.1 then and see what consensus is.

22. SilentFisher macrumors member

If you don't have blobs for iOS 6, you can't go back. For average user is one way street, think twice before you update.

23. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

I don't have iOS 6 on my iPhone 4. I am running 5.1.1 on it and I find that to be the best version to run on that phone. Sure its not the latest, but the latest aren't always the greatest.
    But then again I am also using the iPhone 5c with the latest. And that is my main phone now.

24. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

So it's out!!! v7.1 can anyone say what it's like on an iPhone 4 now it's official?

25. SilentFisher macrumors member

I have installed it one hour ago. Go for it, it's very stable and fast. Apple made a good job.