How do i update jailbroken iphone 3gs from 3.0.1 to 3.1.3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by falsechoes, May 8, 2010.

1. falsechoes macrumors newbie

I have a 3gs that's been jailbroken with redsn0w, the current software is 3.0.1 and I want to update to 3.1.3. What steps do i take to update my phone? Do I just plug it into itunes and restore then download the new 3.1.3 and new version of redsnow and jail break like i originally did? Also what's the best way to save all my contacts, photos, music before I restore?

2. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity why would you want to if it works?

3. falsechoes thread starter macrumors newbie

because i want to be able to pic text and have them in my sms thread, and there are lots of apps out now that require newer firmware inorder to run them...

4. Patryk R32 macrumors newbie

Just download 3.1.2 from here http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ and jail break with blackra1n

5. falsechoes thread starter macrumors newbie

do i have to restore the iphone and update in itunes first? since it's already jailbroken?

6. Patryk R32 macrumors newbie

First sync your phone so it saves all your contacts, apps, messages, all that good stuff.

Then put the phone in DFU mode.

Then when iTunes tells you you are in recovery mode...HOLD SHIFT and click RESTORE

A pop up will come up to select a ipsw file, find the file you downloaded and select it.

Let the phone restore and then when it restores it will ask you to backup to previous phone or new phone... select your previous phone name and that will sync everything back to your phone (apps, contacts, messages, etc.)

After that is done, download http://www.blackra1n.com and let blackrain jail break your phone (it takes about 30 seconds to jail break it) Let it reboot by itself

then you will have blackra1n icon on your phone and click the icon and select Cydia and sn0w if you want to unlock it.

7. u2hibby macrumors newbie

Itunes 9.1 will not let me go to 3.12, any thoughts?

Jason

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The advice you've been getting here is bad. You cannot upgrade to any official firmware other than 3.1.3, which you do not want to do. You need to upgrade to a custom 3.1.2 firmware created with PwnageTool. If you have access to a Mac, you can create one yourself; otherwise you will have to get a custom firmware from a trusted source online. Make sure you make/get an unactivated firmware if you are on an official carrier.

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

and you dont put your phone in dfu mode before you hit shift restore. and I would not use blackra1n I would use spirit to jailbreak it. a 3gs is a different iphone when it comes to updates and jb and stuff. I had several conflicts when using blackra1n and redsnow but when I used spirit it was ready in less than 30 seconds. but definately backup your phone!!

also, if you are staying on AT&T (in the US) then you dont need to worry about the custom ipsw file just update it to 3.1.3 in iTunes and then use spirit to JB. but backup everything first!!

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

couldn't be said better :]
    just backup device then spirit that sucka