How do I update to the new Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aparicio, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Aparicio macrumors newbie

On the Apple website it said to update the operating system software, which I did, but it didn't update Mac OS X itself, it just installed a newer version of a program (I think it was called Remote Desktop.. something. I know it had Desktop in its title)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm guessing you have 10.5.8. You need to buy Snow Leopard and update it to 10.6.6. If you have a PPC based Mac, you cannot get the Mac App Store.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have a version of Mac OS X earlier than 10.6, (such as 10.5.8), you need to buy a copy of Snow Leopard (10.6) and install it first, then update to 10.6.6 using Software Update. You can't go from 10.4 to 10.5 or from 10.5 to 10.6 using Software Update, as those are upgrades, not updates.

4. celticpride678

The Mac App Store requires Mac OS X 10.6.6. So, if you're on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), you will have to purchase Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and then update to 10.6.6.

5. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

This is correct, but know that If you have 10.4 you can upgrade to 10.6 with the 29.99 snow leopard upgrade from your local apple store. It used to be that you could not go from 10.4 - 10.6, but that is not the case anymore.

I'm positive. Just make sure your computer is intel based.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I know. It's a violation of the EULA, but it works. However, the OP hasn't stated which version they have, so it may not be relevant.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, just to clarify, it was never true that you couldn't go from 10.4 directly to 10.6. Apple simply has stated the official upgrade path is via the Mac Box Set instead of the $29 upgrade, but it's always worked. Some people simply erroneously thought it wouldn't work.

So you're absolutely right, except that's always been the case and didn't change at some point.

BTW, GGJStudios, I've heard people say it's a violation of the EULA (which incidentally is called an SLA by Apple), but I've never seen the specific terms pointed out that require that. Do you have a link to the spot? I've heard others say it's not in there, so I'd like to investigate for myself.

jW

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you're right. Apple calls it the SLA, but usually if someone says SLA, others say "huh?" They usually know what you mean by EULA, but even then, some will say "huh?" I guess some say "huh?" no matter what you tell them! :D

Snow Leopard SLA:

9. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

Completely off topic, but you have the sweetest profile pic/user name ever! You can't expect to open the book of my life and start in the middle.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Awwww! Another "Serenity" and "Firefly" fan! How cool!

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Heh, nice. Always nice to meet a fellow fan.

Now, back on topic, boys...

jW

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Shiney!