How do I upgrade 2nd gen touch from OS 1.1.5

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jpm369, Jul 20, 2010.

1. jpm369 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is obvious....but I have searched various forums without success.

My visiting Spanish friend has a 2nd Gen touch running OS 1.1.5. Simple question ..... how can I bring her as up to date as possible in OS terms....and ... will this allow her to run Apps???

Apologies if this is "bleedin' obvious" but I have a 3rd gen touch which is bang up to date.

Thanks in advance :)

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Wow, 1.1.5.

3. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I have a 2nd gen running iOS 4 and it's doing fine. If you want to, OP, just authorize your computer with her iTunes account, plug it in, select 'Transfer Purchases', and bring her up to date like liamkp said.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

How did your friend get OS 1 on a 2nd gen touch? they shipped with 2.0

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is against forum rules to post links to iPod Touch firmware. Because it must be paid for. If you post the links you are helping other pirate software. Please edit your post to remove the link.

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

By clicking Download, you will be redirected to an Apple Inc. server. The list of available firmwares is automatically updated and always the most recent version.

Get your facts straight before being a forum cop. The files aren't pirated. It's an expedited link to Apple's download servers.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't matter where it comes from. What matters is that the original poster can get the firmware, which should be paid for, for free. It is still considered pirating weather or not the software comes from the creator's website (Apple) or not.

Please be more knowledgeable in such things before you post next time.

8. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

So if the creator makes something available for free, it's pirating to download it for free?

Let it be man.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

After this statement I'm dropping this discussion.

The end user (you) must pay for any major iOS upgrade (2.2.1->3.0) via iTunes, it is not freely available.

10. MrPenguin9 macrumors member

Fa-Fa-Fa-Faaaaaaacepalm!

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Is there a way to downgrade off of iTunes? I think you can only update to iOS4, without pirating firmware.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is sadly no way to downgrade using iTunes. You can still download the firmware from any place you want. You just can't post the link on MacRumors.

If you don't want to download the firmware from some other place. You can check to see if it is already on your computer. I forget where iTunes puts the firmware files it downloads from Apple. But once you find it all you need to do it hold down the shift key (Windows) or option key (Mac) while clicking the Restore button, then selecting the firmware file for the version you want.

13. imaliar793 macrumors newbie

Wow you are dumb. Apple released 4.0 for FREE. It doesn't matter that 3.0 was a paid upgrade. Let's live in the present please.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Wow, you're just as dumb. if his iPod is running 1.1.5 then it's a 1G. Thus, no 4.0 for him. If it's a 2G then he can get 4.0 for free.

15. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all updates including 4.0 are now free. It's just a matter of if iTunes recognizes the current update because some users have been reporting that iTunes won't upgrade.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just 4.0 is free.

17. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

18. jdm111 macrumors regular

Oh shut up, why do you care? If he wants to 'pirate' what is now a $5 upgrade from Apple's own website, let him. There's nothing wrong with it really.