How do I upgrade installation from VM Fusion v1.1 to v2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by basteinesq, Sep 30, 2008.

1. basteinesq macrumors newbie

I have an iMac with VM Fusion v1.1 installed and running well since May 2008. The iMac is set up with a Boot Camp Windows partition running Windows XP professional. I have been reluctant to upgrade the VM Fusion software since v1.1 seems to be working well and I'm concerned that I will screw things up. I'm a real beginner, so I had someone with Mac experience install VM fusion on my iMac. That person is no longer around. Thus, since I will have to do the installation myself (assuming I choose to do so) my basic questions are: (1) After downloading and installing v2, do I need to reconfigure it (e.g., import my existing v1.1 settings) or will the v2 installation just take my old v1.1 settings so that I don't have to do anything further? (2) If not, can someone please tell me what I will have to do install v2 and to import my prior v1.1 settings? and (3) is the upgrade worth the time and effort?
    Thanks, in advance.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I upgraded from v1.1 to v2 about 10 days ago - completely painlessly

1. No - it updates all your settings - nothing to configure
    2. see above
    3. Yes - because there is no trouble

The only other thing I remember is once you open up the new machine it says to run the new version of VM Tools which took about 30 seconds....

3. basteinesq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Iogana: Thanks for such a quick response. It worked like a charm.