How do I upgrade the firmware on my 8,1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eyeangle, Jun 1, 2019.

1. eyeangle macrumors regular

eyeangle

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 1.50.44 pm.png
    I need to keep using Sierra because the legacy software Final Cut Pro 7 doesn't work on High Sierra.

(I need this software for one really old project that I can't convert to DaVinci Resolve yet)

So I want to keep Sierra but upgrade to the latest firmware. How can I check to see what the latest firmware is and how to upgrade?

I'm usually on the Mac Pro forum and it's really simple to upgrade the firmware there but I haven't done it on a MacBook Pro before.

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

You can find them under the downloads section for the Macbook Pro section of the Apple Support site. Although, they won't have the absolute latest ones there, because Apple has been bundling those in with macOS and related updates for the last few years.

3. Kenny99 macrumors newbie

Kenny99

Have you thought about running a FCP 7 in a VM?

4. eyeangle thread starter macrumors regular

eyeangle

Yes and I tried this. I got Parallels Desktop 14 up and running but couldn't install FCP7. I posted my problems on their forum but nobody got back to me soon enough so I just bought the old MacBook Pro off gumtree for cheap.
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads...ut-pro-7-on-mountain-lion.346682/#post-851436
    I can't remember but I must have deleted the message but it still has my screenshots at that link. I think it was something to be with my GPU not being compatible with FCP7.

5. MIKX macrumors 6502a

MIKX

My 8,1 2011 13" Core i7 MBP went from Bootrom 82.0.0.0.0 to 85.0.0.0.0 after I ran the 2019-003 Security Update.
    I was out of my home after I started the Security update so I'm presuming that the bootrom update went through automatically.