How do I upgrade to iOS 5 -

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jbrown, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I've bought my girlfriend a new iPhone 4 ( not 4s ). It is unregistered and without SIM - but when I give it to her in about a weeks time I'd like it to have the new iOS.

How can I go about upgrading it?

I'm new to iPhones so still finding my way. :eek:

Can I download it to my Macbook, and flash it to the phone - without messing it up:)

cheers

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Does she have itunes and an apple ID now? If so things will go much easier if you do this on her computer with her itunes account.

Wait until about Wednesday when the release it to the public. Visit apple then and get the latest itunes they will release then. Sync the phone in itunes. It should ask you if you want to update it, say yes.

3. androiphone macrumors 65816

when you give her the phone and she plugs it into her itunes (after wednesday) it will say there is a new software version and it will update to it, she then proceeds to put her music on it.

if she doesn't have an apple ID then she can create one using itunes now so she can easily sign into iCloud and buy apps when she gets the phone.

you could update it on your itunes on or after wednesday but she would have to restore the iphone in order to use her itunes and sync her stuff so it would be easier for her just to do it, you could charge the phone so it is ready to be used when she gets it.

you can create an apple ID without a credit card buy buying a free app in itunes the select, 'create account' and select 'none' under payment.