How do I upgrade to SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by roxics, Jul 30, 2015.

1. roxics macrumors regular

So I decided I'm finally going to put an 480GB SSD in my old 2008 unibody aluminum Macbook to replace the 320GB HDD. I plan to get an external SATA to USB2 enclosure. I know how to replace the drive inside the machine and put the old one in the enclosure, the part that I don't know is how to copy my current drive to the new SSD since it won't have an OS on it when I put it in the machine.

How do I do this? I like my machine as it is now, I just want a faster drive with more capacity but everything else to remain the same.

2. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That's helps a lot. Although whoever made that video is not very good at them. The text goes away too fast. Everything moves too fast.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "I know how to replace the drive inside the machine and put the old one in the enclosure, the part that I don't know is how to copy my current drive to the new SSD since it won't have an OS on it when I put it in the machine."

Don't do it that way.
    Do it THIS way instead:

1. Have both the SSD -and- the USB enclosure ready-to-use.

2. Put the SSD into the USB enclosure FIRST. Yes, you will take it out later on.

3. Connect the SSD via USB to the MacBook.

4. Initialize it with Disk Utility

5. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of your internal drive to the SSD/external.
    NOTE: Not sure if you are using an OS that has a recovery partition, but if you are, be aware that if you use CCC to do this, it will "clone over" the recovery partition, as well (very nice touch).

6. Now, do a "test boot" from the SSD/external. Reboot and as soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key until the startup manager appears. Use the arrow keys to select the SSD/external and hit return.

7. Do you get a good boot? If so, it's time to "do the drive swap".

8. Put the old HDD into the USB enclosure and it will make a good backup.

Why do it this way?
    This gives you the opportunity to "prep and test" the SSD while the MacBook is still bootable. If any problems arise, it will make diagnosing them easier.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a similar video that might help.

5. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome step by step. Thank you. Come to think of it, I've used superduper before, years ago. I don't know why I didn't think of that. When I first got my macbook I swapped out the HDD for a bigger version. Don't know why I blanked on this. Thanks :)