How do I use an iTunes library on an external drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Aug 27, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have my iTunes library on an external drive (it's huge, mostly all Apple lossless). Inside iTunes it says that the library is at:

External:iTunes:iTunes Library

If I want to play this music on my work Mac, can I just take the drive, hook it up to the other computer, open iTunes and change the default library link to the above one and have all my music, ratings, etc. show up?

Normally I'd just do trial and error myself and figure it out... but I have too much time and money invested in this data! Plus, I seem to recall iTunes is a bit fussy on how it imports data. I had a problem switching from XP to Mac way back when.

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. als522877 macrumors newbie

als522877

This is how i keep all my music on my main comp. If you have the main itunes set up to use the music off the external drive just bring a copy of the library file and when opening itunes hold the option button and hit choose library. Choose the library file from the other computer and it will already have all the music in itunes. It will also have all your playlists too.

Hope this helps you and if theres something i didn't make clear let me know i'll try to make it clearer. :apple:

4. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

The library file?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The iTunes Library.xml

You should have everything that is in the iTunes folder on the external, not just the folder with the music.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I believe that's the file that contains your playlist's and play counts and info such as that.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I just checked mine, it contains the list of every song.

8. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I've set this up across partitions with an alias to the iTunes folder.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not what he's looking for, he wants to do it between two different computers.