How do I use AppleCare...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs, Jun 3, 2008.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I am new to the Mac world and have a question. Nothing is wrong with my mac but I am just being proactive.

If I have AppleCare and my Mac goes crazy, what do I need to do to get it looked at? Do I need a reciept or is AppleCare in my computer? By the way, I have an Apple Store aboutr 3 miles away.

Thanks,

cfs

2. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

You can either call apple at 1-800-myapple or go to a local apple retailer that has a genius bar. Either way they can look up that you have apple care active and provide you support under that.

If you are going to go to an apple store you have to go the the store's specific website usually in the www.apple.com/retail/"name of store" and then sign up for a genius bar appointment for them to look at the computer. Then they will determine whether it can be fixed there or have it sent out to the larger service center.

Hope this helps

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does this work the same way if out of the country? Thnaks for your reply.

4. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

I'm pretty sure it is the same regardless of local... Of course if you have apple care in the US and are traveling abroad it may be different.

My guess is that apple care is apple care and it should be handled the same way no matter where you are. Any apple location should be able to look up your apple care account regardless of where you are.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Actually, I believe there was a thread a couple months back addressing this. Some guy bought AppleCare in the UK, but it was no good here in the States. So that's something that needs to be checked on first. It might not be any good from country to country.

6. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it depends whether it is an imac or macbook. I think macbooks are worldwide but imacs are not.

7. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

you can always call US apple care if you bought it in the US... You may have to send the computer to someone in the US and then have them send it in the apple packaging over to the service center. It will most likely be less expensive than paying to have it fixed without apple care