How do I use boot camp????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by houssein31, Nov 16, 2013.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

hi

im new to macs, I want to put boot camp camp on my iMac 2012 but I dont know how it works..I got to open the application, but at some point it asks me to insert my usb or disk, does it mean that i need to purchase window 7? If so, is there a way to use window, on a mac for free?

Thanks in advance

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Yes, you must purchase Windows. Macs don't come with Windows. They come with Mac OS. If you want another operating system, then you must purchase it.

3. Jonathanchasr macrumors newbie

Help on Boot Camp Assistant

Every mac comes with Boot Camp Assistant installed, you can use this tool to install Windows on your Mac. But recently Apple changed some of the features of Boot Camp, it only supports Windows 7 and higher. You must have a copy of Windows with you in order to install the OS onto your machine. Boot Camp partitions your Macs Hard Drive or Solid State Drive into two, so this means you get to dual boot Mac OS X and Windows by holding the Option key on boot when you hear the chime from your Mac. You can get Windows for free but that involves illegal actions which I do not recommend so I will not be explaining how. Windows 7 costs about $100.