Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Hi,
I just bought a copy of Halo for my mac, and I did the install, but it's one of those games that wants the disc all the time. I hate that then I have to tote the dang disc around. What I want to do if use DISK UTILITY to make a copy of it on my mac. Anyone know how to do that. I'm not doing anything wrong as I have the retial pack I just bought.

Thanks
Chris

AlephNull

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
DeSnousa said:
Here a link.

Basically create a disk image (.dmg) open the image, and launch halo.
Not sure if this applies for Halo, but some games require that the disk image be opened through Toast, which can simulate that it is an actual disk, as opposed to an image. Also - before you open the image, Cmd-I it and lock it, this has caused problems for me in the past.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
There was a thread about this a while back, but I'm to lazy to search right now. Check it out, because there was something about the need for locking the disk image, right after it was made, before you open it the first time, to preserve it "just as the CD"... I don't remember exactly...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I tried this today and can verify it works.

Using Toast 5.2.1, Drag the Halo CD into Toast and go up to File: Save as Disk Image. (At this point it gave me an error about not being able to read the CD and then the Halo CD disappeared from the desktop.) Go back up to File: Save as Disk Image and do it again. It will now prompt you to save the file. Rename the "<No Disc>.toast" to "Halo.toast" and save it wherever. (Once it finished saving the file, I went into the Finder, did a Get Info on the file, and locked it. Not sure if that's necessary or not.) Now every time you want to play Halo, open up Toast, mount the disk image, quit Toast, and there you go.

It's a bit of a hassle and takes up disk space, but I'd rather it take up disk space than taking up my CD drive and making me take a bunch of CDs with me on the road. As someone who paid for Halo, I have no problem with bypassing their stupid CD requirement. But thanks to everyone out there who DIDN'T pay for this game, you've made this necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.