How do I use Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shoolie, Jun 19, 2008.

1. shoolie macrumors member

I tried setting up my Yahoo mail account with Mail, but when ever I open it nothing shows up as it isn't syncing, any one know what might be the problem?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think Yahoo! doesn't work through mail clients unless you pay Yahoo! to get extra features.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

4. shoolie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, I recently just started using Yahoo so I'd rather not go through the trouble. Any other mail service that would work with Mail, maybe something like hotmail?

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Google Mail would be the best bet.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you don't mind paying for your mail client dot mac (soon to be called mobileme) is pretty sweet.

It's a lot more than email, you get all sorts of goodies.
    look into it, I think it's worth it.

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I'm happy with gmail, too. I use Mail.app at home and mail.google.com at work.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wholeheartedly agree with the Gmail recommendation. You'll get a lot less spam, have an email address that is more respected and be able to set up IMAP for seamless interaction with your Gmail folders.... not to mention over 6GB of online storage... all free!

Instructions for setting up Gmail via IMAP in Mail.

9. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Not to mention, the 6gb storage space you get with Gmail...increases by about 3mb everyday. :)

So you'll never have to delete another email.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I'd recommend just using Gmail as well - there's really no reason to use Yahoo. When I was switching e-mail providers I did my due diligence ahead of time and researched the best options, and this is why I decided on Gmail over Yahoo. :cool:

11. klb028 macrumors 6502

I also agree with Gmail!

I didn't get too much spam at first, but now I'm finding 2-4 messages in my Spam folder every other day. I'm not sure why this started.

Is spam really bad at Yahoo! mail?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have several Yahoo mail accounts that I use when I don't want my primary email exposed to spam. All my Yahoo accounts get at least a dozen spam messages a day, one gets close to 100 a day. By contrast, I might get 1 or 2 a day at my Gmail addresses.

There are lots of things you can do to either invite or avoid spam, but that's a topic for another thread.

13. klb028 macrumors 6502

Ouch. 12 spam messages a day is a lot! I was actually wondering how you can avoid spam... I might start a new thread.

14. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I have a gmail and a yahoo plus account and prefer the Yahoo email service. Firstly, it has push email fully integrated into my iphone. Anything I send or receive on my phone is fully integrated into the web email, and any email I get is instantly on my phone with an alert.

The gmail threading of discussions is a big distraction IMO. That's not the way I want my emails displayed and there is no option to disable it.

I never get spam on either account. They both have excellent spam filters. If I get one spam a day on yahoo I'm surprised.

If you have an iphone it's a total no-brainer, Yahoo works better than gmail. Any gmail fix to the iphone currently is a work-around or a hack.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I can't speak for the iPhone, but if you're using Mail, it's easy to disable the threading feature of Gmail: View > deselect "Organize By Thread"