How do I use metatags and stop rival site from...?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Chef55, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Chef55, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Chef55 macrumors member

Hello...numpty site builder here. First site made with iWeb and pretty good I think. However although the site has been live for over 6 months if I put my website name and my name into google a rival site comes up because they are using my registered name and my own name as tags.

I am pretty sure this must be illegal however how can I get my site at the top?

I cannot see anywhere to put these can anyone please help me? Thank you. And if anyone knows if this type of practice is illegal can they tell me how to go about getting it stopped? :(

2. spector macrumors newbie

hello,
    i make my living online running my websites. It is not illegal for a competitor to use your site in there meta tags or in keywords, it kinda sucks as i feel your pain. What i personally do then if i find this out is target there keywords and everything that a person would do to find their site and target that as well as what you currently are doing. I have been making my living this way for about 3 years now and i will tell you it is a dog eat dog kind of world out their (not meaning to sound bad or negative on anything that you have posted).

But i would find your competitors site and grab the keywords and meta tags and all info relevant. Then throw up some blogger blogs along with some yahoo answers (the search engines loves yahoo answers and it gets picked up by google in a matter of minutes). Yahoo answers always shows up in the first page of google....

pm me or email me if you need more tips or tricks on this...

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, not illegal at all. It's just how spammers and hackers work with their link farms. Just keep doing proper SEO techniques and you'll eventually move beyond them and they'll likely fizzle away in time. Google now has Searchwiki (or is it WikiSearch) that lets you give a + or - to search results so you can do your part by doing that.

4. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. So....how does one put these tags onto my iweb site? I would like to use other words apart from the main word which can find me?:confused:

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

6. Mitou macrumors regular

I like MassReplaceIt to make changes to a bunch of files. Be careful because post publishing edition of blogs will remove your comments if you use mobileme and have comments. (regardless of the method used to do it)

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Quick comment to the OP, not to scare ya or anything...

Check the whois for your domain and theirs, compare, make sure nothing nefarious going on there. This is something you have certain amount of recourse with the registrar. For example, competitor driven domain name hacks and domain hijacking are common hacker exploits for domains. Be sure to add a domain lock via your registrar, at least. FYI.

-jim

8. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Once again thank you for the tips. I am learning as I go along (and having to write an awful lot down so I can remember ;) ). I have done as advised and made a sitemap and my site is now verified by google.

So just one more question. Oh and I have checked whois and there is nothing untoward going on there ;)

The person that I am trying to outwit (bit difficult as they have years more experience than me) has my website address on one of their pages which is why they are coming up on google. I have no intention of getting down to their level and trashing their name on my site but is there any way I can embed their site name onto one of my pages? Sorry if this question sounds dim but without it actually being seen if that makes sense? If so how do I do it? This is purely so that people putting their name into google will also get my site up. If I can do this perhaps they may stop and delete and pigs might fly :p

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'll assume you have the latest version of iWeb, which has the HTML Snippet feature. Use the following as your snippet. Only search engines and CSS-disabled browsers will see it. I'm not convinced it'll help anything though.
    HTML:
    <p style="display:none;">That other site's name.</p>
    You may also want to give Google's spam report page a look. May lead to better outcomes than the above.

10. Chef55 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much will give it a try.