Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
I'm sure this is a very dumb question... just bought my kids a Mac for Christmas.

I installed the Canon EOS Utility software. When I open the software, I can select "Remote shooting" and make the camera's shutter snap when I hit the camera icon. However, I get an error saying "The application cannot be launched". Any idea if I need to download some other software? My end goal is to be able to do stop-motion movies.

Thanks!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I can't help you specifically, but have you searched for the latest version of the Canon EOS Utility?
Perhaps upgrade your camera to the latest firmware if it isn't already.

Just throwing it out there, Boinx iStopMotion is specifically designed for this kind of thing and I find it's excellent, maybe give the demo a go...

Last edited:

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Use OS X's Image Capture. File > Take Picture

This works with my Rebel XT. It doesn't show the image on the computer screen, but it does snap the picture. Either on demand or at set intervals. One thing I realized when i was playing with it was that it tried to focus every time it snapped the picture, so I would set it to manual focus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.