How do I use one Time Capsule to backup 2 iMacs? Is CrashPlan+ any good?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kapalua12, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to determine the best backup and recovery plan to use for 2 iMacs and one PC.

Currently have a Time Capsule for one iMac but it's just one TB and the older iMac has a 1 TB HDD and 3 years old.

I just bought a new Time Capsule that's 3 TB but how do I partition the new Time Capsule so each iMac can backup to the same new Time Capsule? The new iMac is the 768 GB SSD version so I'm thinking it too will only need a 1 TB partition? What do you think?

Cloud based backup is appealing if it's automated and doesn't slow my systems down when everything is running. Should I use both Time Capsule as well as Crash Plan +?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You do not need to partition the TC. Just point both iMacs to it and they will both back up to it. Only one will backup at a time... but once the initial backup is complete... the incremental backups are so quick it doesn't matter if one gets deferred for a few minutes while the other completes.

Crashplan+ is fantastic. Strongly recommended. I use CP+ and TM/TC on all of our machines (8 of them). No conflicts between the two. You will never even know CP+ is running.

/Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.