How do I use OS X 10.4 Server as NAS in my Powermac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by drnebulous, Jul 29, 2014.

1. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

I have a Powermac G4 with two 1TB hard drives which I want to use as a wireless nas server for backups via time machine. I have never used OS X Server before and I really need this!

I want both hard drives to show up separately on my mac pro and macbook pro - one hard drive will backup my mac pro, while the other will backup my macbook pro. I also want the server to go to sleep after the backups - I don't want the fans making that noise 24/7 as I will only be backing up once a night, but I also want to being to access the disks while the server is asleep via my mac pro and macbook pro.

Also, once I've set it all up, can it run without the GPU?

Thanks,
    DN

2. sarthak macrumors 6502

File Sharing
    - You can turn on File Sharing in the "Sharing" menu under system preferences.
    - Disks are accessible individually and with custom permissions.

Sleep Access
    - You might be able to write a script to make the system sleep after users have disconnected from the system.
    - You can find the machine in the network menu even while the system is asleep.
    - Accessing shares on the system will wake it.

GPU removal
    - It won't boot without a GPU installed but will without a monitor attached as I am aware.

3. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

Thanks mseth,
    How would I write the apple script?

I haven't install the OS yet, but will be doing either today or tomorrow.

4. sarthak macrumors 6502

The easiest way to accomplish sleep would be in System Preferences.

Set the system to go to sleep every 15 minutes (or less). Also check "Wake for Ethernet Network Access". So when someone connects, it will wake up and once they've disconnected, x minutes later, it will go to sleep again.

You'll really have to google it for a script. If there is a way it would be around checking share users connected zero and pmset sleep or an equivalent.

5. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

Thank you very much! I know this may be simple, but it means a lot to me.
    Thanks.

6. drnebulous, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

There is only remote login, Apple Remote Desktop, and remote apple events under sharing. What do I do?

There will be three users in this.

I want one user to have the whole second hard drive, and the other two to have half each of the 1st. I need it so no one can see each other's data, so each person has an account. Please help me! I need this up and running for next week!

----------

I put an airport card inside with came today and updated the os to 10.4.11

7. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

This is how it looks.

Doesn't seem normal - what's wrong?

Attached Files:

8. chrfr macrumors 603

With OS X Server 10.4, you need the Server Admin tools to set up file sharing. However, if you're only doing file sharing to 3 users and not running other services, you may find it easier to just use regular OS X.

9. drnebulous, Aug 8, 2014

drnebulous

Just done that now and it's working, but I don't know how to configure anything.

There are two hard drives in the powermac, both 1TB. I want the hard drive without the OS installed on dedicated to myself, while the other OS hard drive gets used for the second person who'll be using this. How do I set all this up with password for accounts etc???

It's showing up on my other computers, but I can't access the other hard drive in it.

10. drnebulous, Aug 8, 2014

drnebulous

and when it sleeps, it closes all the connections. This is nearly impossible:(:(:(:(:(

I really need it so that I can wake it by accessing it remotely via finder on my mac pro.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

The disconnections on sleep are normal. 10.4 Server really wasn't intended to be put to sleep when sharing files. If power draw is a concern, you should really put your 2 drives into a modern NAS. Power efficiency was an afterthought at best when OS X 10.4 was new.

12. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

it isn't power efficiency that's my problem. It's the fans. They are the loudest fans that exist, and I have two of them at 24v each. Are you sure that there is no way that it can sleep, but to awaken by remote access?

13. chrfr macrumors 603

You could try using a "wake on LAN" utility on the client Macs, but I don't believe that 10.4 can be woken via file sharing access. Waking for network activity hasn't ever been a terribly reliable process in OS X, and still isn't always reliable.

14. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

So would leopard work better?

Although I can live without it sleeping.

So how do I make accounts for each person, and how do i use the secondary hard drive? Sorry if this sounds basic - I have never done anything like this before!!!!

15. chrfr macrumors 603

Leopard may or may not be better. I doubt it will change the way the hardware works.
    Apple makes the 10.4 documentation available. http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA19/en_US/Mac_OS_X_Server_v10.4_Getting_Started.pdf

16. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

I think I'll just let it stay awake!

Thanks for the link, but it is still confusing to me. I'm not a server technician!:D

All I want is to be able to have two accounts and use the secondary hard drive in the powermac.

----------

I think that I've sorted the accounts thing out, but still can't remotely find the second hard drive!!!

17. chrfr macrumors 603

18. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

19. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

I'm in Workgroup Manager now, but I really don't know how to get it to let me access my second hard drive!:mad:

20. chrfr macrumors 603

First, note that the two documents I linked are different. One is "Getting Started" and the other is regarding File Services.
    As I'd suggested before, if you have a copy of regular OS X, you should just use that rather than OS X Server to set up file sharing for 3 users. It will be far easier for you to understand and manage.
    File sharepoints are set in Server Admin, while users are configured in Workgroup Manager. The getting started document will assist you in the setup process, but getting OS X Server working is decidedly non-trivial. Details on getting an AFP share working are on page 53 in the File Services PDF.

----------

Use Server Admin, not Workgroup Manager for that.

21. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

I think that I will just get the normal OS 10.4

This stuff is intense!

Thanks a lot mate!

22. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

If possible, try to get normal 10.5 on there, since Tiger has awful networking with newer machines.