How do I use Skype on my iphone to call home when overseas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrm27, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I hope you can help me with this extremely easy question...

I am traveling to Australia next week. I plan to jailbreak my 3g and then pop an Australian pay-as-you-go card in it. I figured if I got a pay as you go contract that included data I could install Skype on my iphone and then use that to call my wife back home. I figured this would be the most economical way to keep in touch.

Would that work? Am I understanding how this all is connected?

So basically, I jailbreak my phone (in order to accept a non ATT SIM) and then install Skype. My wife installs Skype on her iphone back here in the US. Then will I need a subscription with skype so I can call her phone/skype account? Or do I only need a skype subscription if I am going to call her phone if she is not using skype. This is where I get confused....

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

-jon

2. Macopotamus macrumors regular

Macopotamus

I did this recently but without a jailbreak, I just turned off cell data and only made calls from wifi on skype. it was very easy and saved me a ton of money, if you go somewhere with a big time difference nobody will call you anyway at a normal time :D

3. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all. Unfortunately, where I'm at, there really isnt much WiFi access... so I'll need to try a workaround!

Tikitommy, is there a thread I should look up? That link just goes to the "hacks" section... maybe I'm missing something?

4. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else?

Macapotamus, di dyou have to have a subscription or anything to use it overseas? I figure it may be differnet fo rme since I won't be using it over WiFi.