How do I use Windows with a broken screen?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Qutam, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Qutam macrumors newbie

Hey..

Unfortunately my macbook pro has a broken screen. I do however hook up the computer to my 22" monitor which is working just fine in Mac OS X. I just close the lid and after going back from sleep the screen res is set correctly. This is although not possible in Windows. I have to go into the nVidia control panel, using the broken screen on my notebook, in order to use my external screen. This is obviously not possible when I can't see the lower 4/5 of my screen. Anyone know what I can do?

Thanks.

2. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

Which version of windows are you using?

If you're in W7 go to control panel (hopefully you can see this?) and fidle around with your display settings... either mirror screens or extend them to an external. Oh and make sure you have all the drivers which are included in your SL intallation disks.

3. Qutam thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using windows xp.

Regarding screen estate:

I can see about 1/5 of the screen from the top.

4. Qutam thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically. Just to make it clear.

Under Mac OS X my mac recognizes, as it should, that an external display is connected through the dvi-port, and thereby mirrors the display. (This is a hardware glitch since the picture looks fine on the external screen, but not the macbook pro's screen.) Is it possible to have the picture show up on my external display when using windows?

5. valvehead macrumors regular

Try this:

Hit Command + P (the Command key is mapped to the Windows key on Macs). This will bring up the projector connection dialog shown below. Of course you won't be able to see it since your MBP's screen is broken. Assuming that "Computer only" is currently selected, you would just hit the left arrow key once to select "Projector only" and hit enter. This will switch it to the external display.

If you end up in one of the other two modes (the MBP screen will still be on), just repeat the process and move to the next/previous mode until you get the MBP screen to turn off.

With nvidia in Windows 7 it has been my experience that it will remember the chosen mode even if you restart the computer. The "Loading Windows" screen will still be on the internal screen, but it will switch to the external monitor when it reaches the login screen. If the external screen is disconnected when restarting, then it will remain on the internal screen (as it should).

Attached Files: