How do I view a remote user's console log?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by moonman239, May 1, 2017.

1. moonman239, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017

moonman239 macrumors 68000

I sent my application to my client for testing, but we didn't use TestFlight. The client reported a bug that did not result in a crash. My code has an NSLog statement that may be able to help me diagnose the problem, if I can just get access to the log generated by my client's iPad.

What does my client need to do to give me this log?

Edit: I've already read Apple's guide to troubleshooting deployed applications. There was no information pertaining to my current situation. However, I might just remove my try-catch block (for now, at least) so the app crashes, thus giving me a crash report.

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040

PhoneyDeveloper

Console.app, connect the device to the mac with the lightning cable, select the device under the Devices heading.

You should verify that a NSLog from your app appears in that console log. There have been some changes related to this in recent OS versions.

Apple also has a free app for managing enterprise devices (Apple Configurator) that also can display the device console.

3. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm assuming with the Configurator, all my client has to do is plug in her iPad and it will show, correct?

4. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

FWIW: Neither of these tools work on OS X 10.9. For App Configurator, you need 10.12+.