Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

durija

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I know. if I want to watch TV, why do I need a computer? Well, I do both, and my TV is dying. Rather than replace it, maybe there is a way to hook my cable TV up to my iMac? I'm sure somebody's asked this before, but I can't seem to find anything.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
i have an eyetv 250 + hooked up to my 17" imac and it works great, DVR capabilities are good and editing of recorded shows is real easy, you can then export them to itunes (currently exporting 'my name is earl', 'the office', 'heroes', and 'it's always sunny in philadelphia', while my daughter is watching spongebob squarepants), but it does depend on what kind of cable you plan on using, i have normal analog cable that doesn't require a box, if you have a digital box than you need an IR blaster to change the channels using the eyetv remote

EDIT- I paid $200 or $250 for mine I do believe, but I think macsales.com has them for $150 or $100 refurbished, but even at $250 I feel it was completely worth it

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
be careful when you buy. get the 2008 version if you want clear qam (HD) channels. basically hd channels through cable without the digital box. macsales has it for 129.99. the 67.99 one is the same, but without clear qam

durija

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
be careful when you buy. get the 2008 version if you want clear qam (HD) channels. basically hd channels through cable without the digital box. macsales has it for 129.99. the 67.99 one is the same, but without clear qam

Thanks for the tip. I've been seeing some wide price differences, and I think that is why. The 2008 hybrid seems the best way to go, and that macsales price is the best I've heard so far. Off to the piggy bank I go. (The regular banks are all out of money.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.