How do i wear-in snowboard boots?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by spacemanps, Dec 30, 2009.

1. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

Okay so i am going on my yearly Vermont trip to okemo soon and i am testing out snowboarding... First time ever!!! I have my friends old board and i went out and bought snowboard boots. They are extremely stiff... How can i wear the boots in a little bit so its a bit more comfortable or just not as stiff..

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You want them to be somewhat stiff (at least that's how I like my boots), but they should flex somewhat. Try wearing them around the house for an hour an evening. Stand up and flex your ankles a bit...

3. spacemanps thread starter macrumors regular

spacemanps

i did that the other night... i just have to keep doing it..

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

They're supposed to be stiff. If the boots were soft and flexible you would have no control on the snow. Snowboard boots will never be comfortable for walking. put them on and bend your knees into a snowboarding stance. They should be comfortable in this position.

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Can you bake them? Best way to break in hockey skates is to tie them as tight at you can, and then take a heat gun and heat them up until your foot starts burning. Then re-tie them and let them cool off.

But i don't think snowboard boots are made the same way. At lease the pair i wore wasn't, rentals.

6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm not a big boarder but am skier.
    When i got my ski boots fitted, there were properly down with custom moulded foot beds etc. What was then done has a hot rod was inserted down into them and heated so that they gave a little bit when pressure was put on it. This process was also done for those that brought in boots to get it done specifically and it was only £20ish so it may be worth looking into doing that

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they are suppose to be stiff

8. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

I can't even imagine what snowboarding in soft, flexible boots would be like. They're supposed to be stiff.