How do I wipe my MBP HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigducky, Apr 20, 2010.

1. bigducky macrumors newbie

Excuse me if this has already been posted and if it has please send me a link. So I want to buy a new MBP but I want to sell my old MBP on either ebay or craigslist. What the best way to clear the HD of all personal info? I have already had my credit card number stolen and I don't want to go through anything like that again. Thanks for the help!!

2. AppleDNA macrumors newbie

Back-up and transfer all of your personal data to the new computer. Then insert the operating system disk into the old one and restart while holding down the C key. This will cause the computer to boot into the operating system installer. Go up to the menu bar and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select the hard drive on the left, then click the Erase tab. You will be presented with options for securely erasing (zeroing) your hard drive. You can choose the number of passes, but realize that each pass takes several hours.

Once zeroing is done, you've wiped your drive, and it's safe to sell the computer to anyone, even the CIA.

3. cys920622 macrumors member

But just to be safe, don't.

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

The only really safe method is to buy a new hard drive and swap it in. Just buy a quality one of the same size, swap it in, and reinstall the OS. Shouldn't take that long.

Practically you're probably okay just formating the drive, but technically it can be reversed-particularly when Apple's just writing zeros. And "in between" method would be running Darick's Boot and Nuke on a PC on the drive. Still not as good as a new drive, but safer than just writing zeros to it. (Of course that'll takes DAYS to run through, most likely.)