How do I zip or compress images to send to printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by isculpt, Sep 10, 2007.

1. isculpt macrumors member

How do I zip or compress images to send to printer? I am on a powerbook G4 running version 10.4.9

I know my computer unzips, but how do I zip up a folder of photoshop tif docs to ftp to the printer?

Thanks in advance, as always you guys are amazing!

ps PC hubby said, " I can do it just send them over to me." I refuse. Though it is nice to know that this is there in a pinch. Whatever the PC can do a Mac can do! Standing up for macs!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

None of what you just said actually happens.

Secondly, a TIFF is a huge file format that'll take quite some time for your print buffer or printer's memory to handle. I suggest converting it to a more compressed image file format using Preview and then printing it.

3. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

If there are multiple files, it is easiest to first put them into a folder. Then right-click the folder and select Archive. It will create a Zip file of the folder that you can send away. :)

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If the TIFs have LZW compression on them, they won't compress any further. Saying that, click on the folder you want to zip while holding down the Control button and you'll get a little menu that says 'Create Archive of...'

It's that easy. :)

The OP is talking about sending them to a real printer — a printing company, to press. ;)

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well this is impossible no matter what platform you are on as no printer that I am aware of is capable of unzipping files.

Edit : Also printers do not use FTP.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. isculpt thread starter macrumors member

I must explain. I am sending this to a printer at another location for offset printing. They have given me their ftp site, and asked me to zip or compress the files.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. isculpt thread starter macrumors member

I used to use stuffit , wasn't it by alladin? I though it came with macs, hubby says I need to buy it. The printer wants files with a .sit or .zip extension.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well that changes things somewhat then :).

Right click your folder of images and docs or whatever and select "Create Archive of ..." and then use Cyberduck to FTP the files to their server. Once they have the files then they can do as they please with them.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't use Stuffit. It's no longer necessary and .sit is a dying format. Please just read and follow the instructions I and others have given you.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

OS X comes with BOMArchiveHelper which replaced Stuffit. It'll allow you to compress the files into one archive as suggested above. I also suggested a good free FTP client as well if you needed it.

The Stuffit (.sit) format is dying. I suggest using the much more friendly .zip format.

13. isculpt thread starter macrumors member

I knew it had to be something easy like that! wow thanks again guys. You are great. The file is off to the "offset" printer and on to creating the next printing job.

bridgette
    http://www.creativesculpture.com