How do install plugins in Safari on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billdakelski, Jun 27, 2009.

1. billdakelski macrumors newbie

I use Firefox and love it, but I read that Safari was really spiffy and fast and smoooooth and all that jazz..... so I decided to give a look-see for a bit and possibly change to safari, cause well.. it is a Mac App ya-know and if it's any good, I could clean up my dock and just use Safari (as I have several browsers including safari loaded into my dock and I hate clutter.)

Well to make a long story longer, I have a myriad of add-ons in FF and to find a new one, add it or delete it took me about 42 seconds the very first time I tried it without any previous knowledge of the whole thing, now I can do it in about 8 seconds.

So, the first thing I did in Safari was to go look for plugins, which I found a few....
    BUT I have spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how..... (those with tender ears might want to skip this part because I am going to start cursing about here).........in the @•˙¨ƒ®∂ß´∑ß&#frigøˆ∆ø©ˆ©ƒ¨©¨˙ world do i install the ø˙ˆø©ˆ†√∫ˆ¥ˆ∫ˆ˜¥“ˆø¨things. OR is it even possible.

I know what your are going to ask, because I have been to these forums before:
    so here is what I have tried so far,
    • Mac Help,
    • Safari help (looks exactly redundant to Mac help),
    • Apple website (pffffhh),
    • Various plugin sites,
    • You tube viedos,
    • Down loading plugins

(it is not like I am a beginner, I have used Macs since 1984)

I find that ususlly when something is this mysterious and difficult, that it is because it cant be done at all. However I suspect that this is doable.

If the answer takes as long to write as the question did than I will probably just stay with Firefox.

The suspense is killing me.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. billdakelski thread starter macrumors newbie

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I meant, any like what you want. Yes, there is that site, and several others, but there is no single place to search, install, and manage plugins.

You can view the installed plugins from the Help menu ...

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are some plugins for Safari, but they just can't be added like Firefox' extensions.

Normally it's a DMG or ZIP file with an installer, that needs to executed while Safari is not running and the next time you open Safari, you can use the installed plugin, like Safari Inquisitor (a bit redundant with Safari 4).
    [​IMG]

I don't know of anymore plugins but pimpmysafari.com seems to be some resource.
    Also MRoogle might be of help.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are used to using a lot of FF plugins, then you will be very disappointed trying to duplicate that in Safari

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. billdakelski thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried downloading one and could not figure how or where to install it.
    I just got a jumble of files that I did not understand, when i tried to open them it said there was no application to open it.

Attached Files:

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is important to get your language straight. Plug-ins, add-ons and extensions are different things. MacOS X supports global plug-ins. They are located in the Internet Plugins folder, either in the root-level Library or the home directory-level Library. They are available to any and all installed browsers--including Safari and every other WebKit- and WebCore-based browsers and Firefox, Seamonkey, and all other Gecko-based browsers.

If I understand your question, then you are looking for Firefox-style extensions and add-ons. In Safari parlance, these are known as haxies. It will be much easier to help you if you would state the functionality that you are trying to add to Safari. Be warned, if your desired functionality requires a haxie, then the haxie may interfere with other features of MacOS X.