How do iPhone backups work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcarnes, Dec 4, 2007.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

So I've noticed that when my iPhone syncs with iTunes, it says "backing up iPhone". Where are these backups kept and can I access them? If my iPhone were stolen, how would I do a restore on a new iPhone?

The only items on my phone that I would really miss are my Notes, which I now have a lot of. Everything else is synced with my Mac. Short of mailing each note to myself as a backup, is there anyway to access them on my Mac?

Thanks.

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Yes you can look at these files. Unfortunatly i dont remember where they are right now (although i am looking). If your phone were stolen and you got a new one, it would ask you (i presume) if you would like to restore from "Your phones' name" Ill respond back if and when i find where the files are held.

3. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I'd appreciate that. I can't find anything. Spotlight turned up nothing.

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

they just do

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

What kind of answer is that?? Anyway, if your on a mac, go to your username/library/application support/mobilesync/backup :)