How Do MBPs Keep Up Such Good Retail Value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 18, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I just saw an almost like new 2.33GHz model with nothing special included from one and half years and two (almost three) generations ago go for $1800 on eBay. How do Macs keep up such good resale value? For $200 more someone could've gotten a new 2.4GHz MBP with an 8600M GT, a refurbished model, or waited for the Montevina refresh. That sounds great to be able to sell a one and a half year old year-old Mac and only pay $200 more to get a completely new one that will be a lot faster (for games and 3D modeling at least). How do Macs keep up such good resale value, even with cheaper refurbished models and similar $2k models?

2. m1stake macrumors 68000

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

Kool-aid plus a healthy dose of reality distortion field every few months. :p

The truth of it is that people want Macs and will buy them. That keeps prices higher and is a good thing for people like me that like to upgrade once per year. :D

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Same reason a nice Ferrari from 10 years ago keeps it's value unlike a Honda or Ford

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Its simply because of the software. This is why even the age old g4 chipsets that are equivalent to Pentium III in performance are still selling for $800-$900 on the 15" and 17" powerbooks.

Old hardware + OSX = still runs great especially now since intel it runs really fast even if its a generation or two older.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If Acer gets a Ferrari computer and Asus get a Lamborgini computer, I think Apples would be the Rolls Royce of computers.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yup - I don't understand how I eBay my macbook pro every 18 months and buy a new one and only lose about $200 to $400 in the process... No way i'd buy my computer for the amount I'm selling it for.

8. terin5124 macrumors newbie

I bought a Core Duo MacBook when they came out, and sold it for $100 less than I bought it for two years later, and all I threw in was a $40 sleeve.

I was excited... and upgrading to a MacBook Pro cost me a lot less than I had planned.