Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grandbrother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
So I've matched and uploaded the iTunes music library my wife and I share to my iCloud account. Both she and I have iPhones, each set up with individual Apple accounts, and I'm not sure how to get her iPhone to access the music library stored in my iCloud account.

On her iPhone, I have gone to "Settings > iCloud > Account" and set it to my account and password. But when I go to her phone's "Settings > Music" and switch "iTunes Match" "on" to access the iCloud library, it tells me her account isn't activated for matching. Do I have to pay the $25 a year fee for matching on her phone as well just for her to be able to access the library that already belongs to both of us? I'm guessing I probably do but wanted to be sure it would do the trick before spending the money...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
So I've matched and uploaded the iTunes music library my wife and I share to my iCloud account. Both she and I have iPhones, each set up with individual Apple accounts, and I'm not sure how to get her iPhone to access the music library stored in my iCloud account.

On her iPhone, I have gone to "Settings > iCloud > Account" and set it to my account and password. But when I go to her phone's "Settings > Music" and switch "iTunes Match" "on" to access the iCloud library, it tells me her account isn't activated for matching. Do I have to pay the $25 a year fee for matching on her phone as well just for her to be able to access the library that already belongs to both of us? I'm guessing I probably do but wanted to be sure it would do the trick before spending the money...

You can't share iTunes Match information between accounts. Switching Match on for her Apple ID won't help you, because your library is matched using your account. You have to sign in for iTunes Match using your ID (the one that your library is matched with), in order to get that music library on that iPhone. You can leave other services signed in with her Apple ID, but Match will have to be signed in with your Apple ID in order to use that Matched library.

jW

Grandbrother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
You can't share iTunes Match information between accounts. Switching Match on for her Apple ID won't help you, because your library is matched using your account. You have to sign in for iTunes Match using your ID (the one that your library is matched with), in order to get that music library on that iPhone. You can leave other services signed in with her Apple ID, but Match will have to be signed in with your Apple ID in order to use that Matched library.

jW

Thanks very much. This might be a stupid follow up question, but how do I sign in for iTunes match on her phone using my id? I assume it's in "Settings > Music", on the pop-up that comes up when I switch "iTunes Match" to the "ON" position, yes? But the apple id in that pop-up is hers and is locked so that I can't change it. Do I have to wait that 90 days I keep reading about elsewhere to change it to my account id?

Thanks again!

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks very much. This might be a stupid follow up question, but how do I sign in for iTunes match on her phone using my id? I assume it's in "Settings > Music", on the pop-up that comes up when I switch "iTunes Match" to the "ON" position, yes? But the apple id in that pop-up is hers and is locked so that I can't change it. Do I have to wait that 90 days I keep reading about elsewhere to change it to my account id?

Thanks again!

i believe iTunes Match is tied to your iTunes account you use for purchases. it is confusing because not all Apple IDs are created equal. I have one for purchases and one for iCloud for example.

anyway, i believe you can go into settings--store--click on the Apple ID then sign out option--back out, then back in, & sign in using the ID used to purchase all music and match.

i think. :)

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

Thanks again!
apple has made this more confusing than it needs to be. itunes match actually doesn't have to do with your iCloud account, but it's attached to your itunes purchasing account. Both my wife and i have ME.COM email address for iCloud, but we use ONE gmail.com email for itunes purchases. If you sign in the app store with that 1 ID on both phones it will pull up the information for you. So whenever the wife makes a purchase on her iphone, she enters the GMAIL.com email that is associated with iTunes. Our iCloud for email and everything is a separate ME.COM email. I do the same on mine and it works perfectly.

----------

i believe iTunes Match is tied to your iTunes account you use for purchases. it is confusing because not all Apple IDs are created equal. I have one for purchases and one for iCloud for example.

anyway, i believe you can go into settings--store--click on the Apple ID then sign out option--back out, then back in, & sign in using the ID used to purchase all music and match.

i think. :)

yeah which makes it really confusing if you don't know this. We do the same thing as you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.