How do new customers to a carrier preorder iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xman1102, Jul 26, 2015.

1. xman1102 macrumors member

I'll be jumping ship to the iPhone for the iPhone 6s. Currently my wife and I have contract phones and no carrier contract.

I'm wanting to buy an iPhone for me and the wife and go with AT&T as our provider.

So my question is... Once the phones are officially announced and preorders can be placed, how would I go about doing this since I currently don't have a contract with any carrier?

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I don't know how it works in the US and AT&T. But here in Canada and Rogers, the Rogers site will have a pre-order/reserve section for the new phone. And when your nearest location gets them in they call down the list of people to pick up. (Since it seems to usually be limited supply.)

I would assume would you be able to set up your new accounts at the pick up.

3. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll be going through Best Buy, so I guess I can ask them when I'm in there.

Your response is logical, thanks

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I've never gone through Best Buy (or here in Canada also known as Future Shop (which is being phased out because Best Buy bought them quite some time ago.)) So I don't know if they offer pre-order or reserving. I've always gone through a Rogers carrier shop.

Hopefully someone who has gone that route before can give you more concrete answer.

Good luck.

5. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

Now that you mention it, I'm seeing that Best Buy in the past only let's you preorder 1 phone. If this is indeed the policy, I'll be preordering elsewhere.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I would probably just go directly through AT&T if they have carrier stores in the US like our cellular companies do here in Canada.

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I say that since you don't have accounts or contracts with them at all yet. To me would be better to go directly to them.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you really need a new contract? You can just buy the unlocked one and go to whatever carrier you want, US cell carriers are starting to offer cheaper plans if you bring your own phone. At pre-order the unlocked one will probably be marketed as for T-Mobile as Apple usually waits a month or two to start advertising them as unlocked, but if you pre-order a T-Mobile one from Apple it will be unlocked

9. Attack Eagle macrumors newbie

Attack Eagle

Also the Verizon one will be unlocked, but you can't buy it contract free (full retail) like you can the T-Mobile one.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You can buy via ATT store, ATT website, Apple Website or any of the multitude of vendors.

Your bigger issue is decideing if you want want to do a contract, buy the phone outright, do a next plan, family plan, etc. Study ATT website to better understand what it would cost/involve getting a phone TODAY.

11. xman1102 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

I guess my question was how I preordered. Having never used Apple, I've only read about getting the iPhones at release and the wait and availability.