How do On-The-Go playlists work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Master Debater, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Master Debater macrumors member

Could someone tell me how you would go about making an On-The-Go playlist in the iPod touch? Is there a certain gesture you have to do to add a song/artist/album to it?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you go to Playlists, the first playlist should be On-The-Go, then it brings you a screen that's similar to the usual iPod screen, but it says on top "Add songs to the On-The-Go playlist" just select the songs via artist, album, playlist etc.

Takes some getting used to compared to the select+hold in other iPods.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I wish I was at home on my iMac so I could provide screen shots for you.

Soberbrain has the basic idea.

I just want to add that when you sync your Touch up to the computer, the On-To-Go Playlist you created will be saved on it's own. If you wanted to more songs to that playlist, you'll have to do it from the computer and can't do it on the fly from the iPod.

4. Master Debater thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! It seems more complicated than it should be.

5. ricartedor macrumors member

Can you modify existing playlists on the iPod touch? given the control you're allowed in selecting song for the On-The-Go playlists, it would be a logical step to just allow you to make and modify playlists as you like on the go, even if only with your iPod in manual sync mode.

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You can only edit the On-The-Go playlist. All other playlists can only be edited on iTunes.

The On-The-Go playlist was Apple's answer to user complaints about not being able to create custom playlists directly on iPods.

I agree it would be nice to create/save playlists on an iPod touch or iPhone.

7. Master Debater thread starter macrumors member

On my iPod nano (1G), there is no way to re-order songs on the current On-The-Go playlist without deleting them all and restarting. Is there a way to reorder songs on the touch?

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

You can re-order the on the go playlist on a Touch by selecting the playlist and tapping Edit. Drag the 3 gray lines to the right of the songs.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The only thing I don't like about the Touch's On-The-Go playlists is that it doesn't have the option to save playlists; you have to connect it to iTunes and have it automatically save it for you (no matter whether you're in manual sync or not).

Here's what it looks like in editing mode, the red icon can be selected to remove tracks from the list, the icons on the right allow you to rearrange the order of the tracks (I've also provided an example of what it looks like when you select a track to move).

Attached Files:

10. ricartedor macrumors member

I went to the apple shop in regent street yesterday and one thing i noticed while playing on the touches was that while makin on-the-go playlists, there is no obvious way of adding a complete playlist or album to the on-the-go playlist. i think you had to double tap the plus on any song and all songs in the current list were added to the on-the-go - just letting anyone who didn't know that know. I can't wait to get a touch - they better update them soon! because stupidly that's what i'm waiting for (have been scammed in the past by being a later adopter)

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That is very incorrect. When editing an On-The-Go playlist, there is an option to add every song for each album, playlist, artist, etc. as well as the option to add every song on the iPod. And what's this about double tapping? You don't even have to press the plus sign, you just select anywhere on the song title when in editing mode and it adds it right away...