How do people crack their iPhone so easily

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idkmyname, Apr 21, 2013.

1. idkmyname macrumors newbie

I never had a case or screen protector on my 4 or 4s. Never had a crack on either.

I had an iPhone 5 from release until last week when I got a Galaxy. Never had it in a case, it never cracked.

How do people manage to crack theirs so easily? Was I given a super-phone?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It depends on how it is dropped or handled. I have never used a case or broken an iPhone in seven years myself.

I did drop a 4S once on a hard tiled floor and the glass did not break. It landed on a corner and chipped the plastic on the corner wrapping the glass. The edge of the metal band also got dinged a bit but the glass was fine. I sold it a few months later and bought another 4S.

4. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

never broke anything, only dropped my 4 in water once, but it actually worked better after.... I'm just extremely lucky i guess.

5. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

this happens because people don't take care of their things... Yesterday for example I was visiting my friend and when he needed the phone who was near his girlfriend he asked her and she trew it, making it sliding on the floor! :eek:

6. beMaC macrumors member

I have never dropped any iPhone I have owned (touch wood)

7. SoLongAndroid macrumors member

I just dropped my phone like 20 minutes ago for the first time ever. It hit a coffee table on the way down then the wood floor. Phone only has a back skin and a non glare screen protector. Not even smudge on the phone or imprint in the skin.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I e never cracked my phone. I've never wrecked my car. But I have broken each of my wrists twice. Everyone is different. Some are careless. Some just get unlucky. It is what it is. It's great that you've never cracked a phone. Hope you never do.

9. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

I've never damaged a phone, but I have wrecked 14 cars :D

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Hmm I don't know about that

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

What's not to know about?

12. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Same here, but I see kids without them, and since they do not pay for them and do not use a case, it happens. I am lucky my 17 year old son is like me, use a simple case, let no one touch your phone and take very good care of it, pays off on resale.

There was a call on the local radio last week, a girl in college pranked her father about dropping her IP5 in the toilet, turns out this guy had to replace his daughter's phone out of pocket 4 times because she was careless, NOT me, no way she could have just gone without at that point, this time he made her buy an Otterbox waterproof case, told her the 5th was her last if she takes the case off, or ruins the phone she is done.

I could not believe what the father told the radio station was the reasons for her phone replacements. Most were related to her lending the phone to people and they dropped them or something like that.

I would have given up after replacing it once.

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

He probably meant that the iPhone hasn't been out for seven years.

14. kaylerrific macrumors regular

Well lets see. If you haven't noticed, the iPhone is a slippery sucker. Grip it the wrong way, while walking on concrete and voila. Cracked phone!

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

DAMN, dude! How much do you pay in insurance premiums??

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You think people crack their phones on purpose or something. Things happen, I'm sure no one wants to drop their phone and have it crack.

17. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I had dropped my phones 4 times ( on carpeted floors) but cases protected them :D

18. TheAppleFairy, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

You don't need insurance to steal and wreck cars. :D

NOTE: Not Saying Ste Nova stole anything. Just making a joke about wrecking cars for free.

19. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Accidents happen, and some people are just careless. In the 14 years that I've owned cell phones (not using a case, or a very slim/minimal case) I've only broken the front on my iPhone 3G by it sliding off a clipboard while I was outside timing my track athletes. I just replaced the screen. Some people break several phones a year.

Although by comparison in the 25 or so years I've been playing with Lego's, I only have 3-4 pieces unaccounted for out of a little over 16,000. Some might say I'm a little neater/more careful than your average consumer. :D

20. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Hardly a trait to brag about!

21. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Having worked at the Genius Bar in an apple store, I would have to say that it breaks down as such (most common to least common):

1. Intentional Damage to receive replacement
    2. Assumed that LifeProof & Otterbox cases made their phones indestructible.
    3. Innocently dropped on pavement.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Two drops aren't necessarily the same. Don't make the common mistake of assuming that something that has never happened to you doesn't exist or is impossible. It's a mix of care, luck and the particular circumstances of the specific drop incident.

23. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

This....

If you line up 10 iPhone 5 and drop them exactly at the same height level.. not all 10 iPhones will have visible damage.

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's been out since 2007.

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Who said it was easy?

Practice...practice...practice...:p