How do people on Ebay sell AppleCare so cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techmonkey, Oct 16, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Applecare for the MacBook Pro is $349 on Apples site, $239 on Apples EDU site. I checked Ebay, and people are selling it for as low as $179.

How can they sell it for this cheap? Can it really be legit?

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

If you buy one from a good seller with good feedback i am sure it will be alright. I have never had a bad experience with ebay.com, thou i take extra care before i buy something and make sure everything looks good.

I am not sure how they sell it for so low, maybe people buy it then want to sell it or maybe they got a good deal elsewhere and want some cash for it.

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I can think of a case where someone buys AppleCare then drops or breaks the computer in a way that makes it unusable and also irreparable under AppleCare. Also, maybe they bought AppleCare and sold the computer before activating AppleCare and figure that selling AppleCare separately will bring them more money than the increase in sale price that bundling AppleCare would cause.

I dunno.

4. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

This particular seller has a great feedback rating, and they are sellling (5) Applecare units. I doubt all (5) were for him.

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I've heard of many people buying Apple care from ebay so it could be legitimate. But I am not sure how they sell it for a cheaper price as well.

6. AppleAddict! macrumors newbie

I bought twice from ebay, the last being a MBP Applecare for 175.00 instead of 349.00 the reciept he sent said he was a apple reseller, oh and it worked great .

7. sjobs@apple.com macrumors newbie

I bought my apple care from ebay.
    I will also do it again.
    I picked a good seller with good ratings.

I assume they buy it either from close out stores or apple directly through reseller channels.

Apple care has the biggest mark up of any product sold by apple that is why its pushed for you to buy it. Resellers probably make more off the apple care they sell you than the computer they sell you.

8. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you post who you purchased it from? Or PM me the ebay seller name ?

Thanks.

BTW, is there a way to check if the AppleCare is valid before buying it? If not, does AppleCare send you anything after you activate it to have proof of activation?

9. sjobs@apple.com macrumors newbie

sorry it was a long time ago and i cant find the seller in my feedback ratings...

I remember getting it and the box was crushed but all thats in it is the code to sign up with and a cd. both were ok.
    I would only buy it if its sealed and pay with paypal so you have protection.

And only buy from someone with lots of good feedback.