How do stop Lion from automatically adding new documents to sidebar?

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Every time I make a new document or folder or anything on my desktop (and other place I'm not sure.. ) I get it on my sidebar:

That last folder.. I know how to delete it from the sidebar but how do I stop them from appearing there every time I create a new document/folder?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Every time I make a new document or folder or anything on my desktop (and other place I'm not sure.. )
New documents are not automatically added to the sidebar. You have to drag them there. To control what appears on the sidebar, go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar
That last folder.. I know how to delete it from the sidebar but how do I stop them from appearing there every time I create a new document/folder?
Drag or Command-Drag it off. It shouldn't reappear unless you manually add it. If your changes don't stick, try deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and then relaunch Finder.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
New documents are not automatically added to the sidebar. You have to drag them there. To control what appears on the sidebar, go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar

Drag or Command-Drag it off. It shouldn't reappear unless you manually add it.
I never put every folder I create there, trust me.. it just shows up

aaandrew

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Shortcut keys?

Command + T creates a shortcut in the sidebar if the Finder is the active application and files or folders are selected.

I was frustrated by this as well. Like you, I believed it was automatic and searched in vain for a box to untick. After some trial and error, I figured out that I was adding shortcuts to the sidebar accidentally.

To see how easy it is to accidentally add a shortcut, try this:
  • Close all Finder windows.
  • Single-click one file or folder on the Desktop, so that it's highlighted.
  • Bring up another application, say, a browser.
  • Now Command + TAB back to the Finder. (Notice how easy it is to mistake the browser for the active application, since there's no open Finder window to appear in front of it.)
  • Hit Command + T.
  • Open a new Finder window.

You should find that the Finder has silently added a shortcut to sidebar of your Finder windows. As a bonus, if you have, say, 10 files selected when you hit Command + T, you'll get 10 new shortcuts.

It's easy to see how someone could accidentally add a file to the sidebar, when all they wanted to do was, say, open a new tab in a browser (also Command + T).

syd3n

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Command + T creates a shortcut in the sidebar if the Finder is the active application and files or folders are selected.

I was frustrated by this as well. Like you, I believed it was automatic and searched in vain for a box to untick. After some trial and error, I figured out that I was adding shortcuts to the sidebar accidentally.

To see how easy it is to accidentally add a shortcut, try this:
  • Close all Finder windows.
  • Single-click one file or folder on the Desktop, so that it's highlighted.
  • Bring up another application, say, a browser.
  • Now Command + TAB back to the Finder. (Notice how easy it is to mistake the browser for the active application, since there's no open Finder window to appear in front of it.)
  • Hit Command + T.
  • Open a new Finder window.

You should find that the Finder has silently added a shortcut to sidebar of your Finder windows. As a bonus, if you have, say, 10 files selected when you hit Command + T, you'll get 10 new shortcuts.

It's easy to see how someone could accidentally add a file to the sidebar, when all they wanted to do was, say, open a new tab in a browser (also Command + T).
was going crazy seeing the same folder appear in my sidebar favorites even after removing it from the sidebar every time. at least now i know why the folder got into the sidebar favorites in the first place. next i have to figure out how to keep it from appearing even after i have removed it.