How do the apple silicone cases hold up after time?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Caris, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

im just wondering how the silicone cases hold up after months of use compared to the leather.

I currently have a black leather case but I much prefer the look and feel of the silicone ones.

The only thing that stops me getting one is various reports of them splitting but I don't know if this is just from people not looking after them.

Any advice or pictures would be great.

2. Winterfibre macrumors member

Ive got the 12.9 ipad pro with silicone case, its used daily and nightly all day the silicone case has broken away near the headphone jack, apart from that its brilliant and would not be without it.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

The silicone coating comes off the edges after a while. Otherwise mine is holding up better than the leather ones do

4. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Have had my ocean blue since launch day. Does not one have single nick or anything on it. Still in amazing condition.

5. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've had the white silicone case and had the peeling/splitting of the edges but I found that it wa the way I put it on and removed it. I did a return and replace with Apple and now I remove it I spread the sides rather than let the edges rub down by the bottom. The case has been fine using that method.

6. prhat317 macrumors newbie

Mine has held up fine for about 6 months. Only thing is the corners have "smoothed" out. Almost look polished. The quality is still there though. (Ignore the dirty back it just needs wiped down)

Attached Files:

7. BrianInLA macrumors member

BrianInLA

I take my case on and off every day because I only have it one when I go to the gym.

After 3-4 months I noticed a small crack/tear in the case and small pieces of thread coming out of it. Annoying but not a deal breaker for me since I use the case so infrequently.

Heard a well know Apple podcaster had the same issue.

8. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

....personally I think the leather ones are better - I find the silicones to be lint magnets, i.e. put them into your denim jeans pockets and when you pull them out, they are covered in lint.