How do the iMac 17" and 20" Displays Compare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny_w, Apr 6, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I am almost set to buy a 17" iMac C2D for my wife, but want to know if anybody knows how the display quality compares to that of the 20". Of course, I would really like the larger screen, but have a hard time justifying the extra $300 (I don't think she will ever need the larger hard drive or other differences). I know from direct comparison that my Dell 2005fpw is far brighter and clearer than my 17" iMac G5, but I don't have any comparisons to the new Intel line. Does anybody know the answer?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, I believe so as well.

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I would like to know what your wife is upgrading from first? A 17" screen is equal to a 19" CRT in terms of screen space so it might be enough. Brightness need not be a huge issue. But go to an Apple Store to check them out personally if you can.

My ex has G5 17" iMac and the screen to me is good enough for her Graphic Design and Illustration work. What will your wife be using hers for?

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

For years my wife used a 17" Sony CRT, but it was beginning to get flaky so I just bought her a 19" widescreen lcd. She hasn't had time to really get used to it yet, but I think the 20" would suit her better, although she would probably run it at a much lower resolution like 1380x768 or some such; she ran her 17" crt at 1024/768 most of the time.

6. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Get the 20" for her if you're having reservations.
    You don't want to look back and feel a tinge of regret.
    I'm super glad I got the 20" over the 17".
    Now if I could just afford the 24"............:rolleyes:

7. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I just talked to her and showed her my 17" iMac and Dell 20" ws for comparison (in spanning mode), both set to their native resolutions, and she actually prefers the 17". No matter which one she got she would end up setting them to the same relative resolution, so the only advantage to the 20" would be more real estate for more windows, which she doesn't like anyway. That is just not her style. So she just saved me $300. Have to love that (and her). Personally I would prefer a 20" if I were to get one for myself, but this is for her, so I'll get her what she wants.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

ew - why? that's a quick way to make a nice monitor look like crap!

9. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

You're right, but it is also a way to make everything look bigger. This is the one area in which an lcd is at a definite disadvantage compared to a crt. You could run a 20" crt at 640x480 and it would look just as good as at the highest resolution that it could do. Some of us don't have the best eyesight in the world, you know.

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

get glasses. ;)

11. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

We both have glasses, than you very much. Now the only question is where to get the best price on a 17". I find that I can get a new one from Amazon cheaper than a refurb from Apple (after taxes on the Apple order and $75 rebate from Amazon). Does anybody know of a better price?

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'm only teasin' you - lighten up. :)

Anyways.. Amazon is probably the best price out there (after taxes) unless someone qualifies for one of the discounts from Apple. I'd definitely go that route.

13. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

The only thing that worries me a little bit about Amazon is that they say on the product page:

Ships in Original Packaging:
    This item ships separately and in the original manufacturer's packaging. There will be shipping labels attached to the outside of the package. You may mark this item as a gift if you do not wish to reveal the contents.

Does anybody else have a problem with this? How does it ship to the stores? I have seen boxes in stores that look like they were shipped that way too and are all bunged up. Or is the original packaging (iMac box) double-boxed? Is it really obvious that it is an iMac? I'd like to hear from someone that has bought one from Amazon.

14. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

OK, thanks everybody. I just placed my order with Amazon. They estimate it will ship on 4/12, but it will probably ship before then based on past Amazon orders. Does anybody know if Entourage can directly import or use Windows Outlook Express (OE) files or will I have to convert them? I know they have to be converted for Apple Mail to use them.