How do the lines work at Target, Walmart, Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tekksan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. tekksan macrumors regular

On launch day at the Apple store, I know you wait outside in a line but how do the other retailers handle it for those of you who've made launch day purchases at Walmart, Target, etc? I mean, where do you line up at?

2. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

I went to Best Buy for the Wifi iPad launch last year. I lined up outside the store about 2 hours before they opened and nobody else showed up until about 5 minutes before lol...Right as the store opened, they handed us tickets for what model we wanted and we went in and paid for it. That was different though, because the Wifi was sold on a Saturday morning, as opposed to the 5:00 PM launch that the 3G version had and the iPad 2 will have....

3. r2fa3l macrumors regular

LMAO that would be embarrassing.
    I don't think Wal-mart or target are doing lines.
    you'll just swing by and pay it.
    Bestbuy's different though, they MIGHT give out
    tickets. so check in the morning

4. sap12690 macrumors 6502

i called my best buy today and they told me:

- They will start selling at 5
    - The line will form outside
    - NO numbers/vouchers will be given out, you must wait until 5 in line to purchase it

What they are doing at target is still up in the air, im gonna try and find out when i go to work tonight.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't. I buy it online and avoid the whole spectacle. Besides last year BestBuy had no lines, so if you play your cards right, you'll locate a retailer that isn't massively busy.

Back when I bought my iPhone 3Gs, I remember the line stretching on forever for the apple store here in boston. I walked two city blocks to an AT&T store, waltzed in and bought an iPhone 3Gs. My point, there's so many places that will be selling the iPad. I doubt very much every retailer is going to have lines.

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

No lines. Just a stampede ala Walmart on Black Friday!

7. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

It's almost always a line outside until the launch time.

8. fishcube macrumors 6502

Right, if they open at 10am, and not selling till 5pm, than what do they do for a line? Will they give out vouchers when you enter store asking about Ipad? Or just tell those wanting Ipad to wait outside, or wait in a line indoors?

My BB told me they would sell at 10am, but not sure it will happen. I just don't know what to do that morning. I don't want to have to wait in a line for hours either. But, if they form a line indoors I won't know how many people are getting inline if I'm watching from outside. hmmm....

9. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I walked into Best Buy on launch day for the 3G at about 4:50 pm, and they took me to the line at the customer service desk: there was one person in front of me, and he had been sitting there for a couple of hours. When they started selling at 5:00 pm, there were only 7 or 8 people in line. The store only received five 3G models to sell on day one.

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I remember preordering my iPhone 3GS in Chicago. picked up at an AT&T store and I had to get there an hour early, there were two -TWO- cops, real City of Chicago cops not rent-a-cops, there and only a 20 person line, but they only allowed 2 people inside at a time because they only had two stations equipped for activating them.

Yet, I'm still queuing up for the iPad 2 launch at my Apple store as soon as I get off work at 4pm. Not waiting til Monday or Tuesday to get it when I can just walk in and buy it after waiting a couple hours.

11. Krandor macrumors 6502

When I have been to a Target or Wal-Mart to get something on launch day before they often have people line up in customer service. Really depends on the logistics of the store but they will have some designated area for people to line up in.

12. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

reminds me of the original PS3 launch. I bought one to eBay (made a HUGE profit), but they did "preorders" at the local Game Stop about 6 wks before release, so I slept on the curb all night and preordered one of the 5 launch day consoles they were getting.

Started feeling stupid at about 3am when there was only 5 of us, but about 5am 20 other people showed up and were eventually turned away b/c there were only 5 consoles to preorder.

Then on launch day I showed up 5 minutes before open to see a 50 person plus line around the corner. I told them "I slept here 6 wks ago and we preordered the only consoles they have" and they yelled at me and cursed at me but minutes later the store rep came out and told them the same thing. I have never seen more depressed people.

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

Will Target sell all 6 versions of the iPad 2?

I'm banking on the possibility that everyone and their grandmother will be camping out in font of Best Buy and Apple.

Also how do you enroll in Apple Care at Non-Apple Stores?

14. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I looked at the Walmart website, and they list all models including AT&T and Verizon. BB isn't showing the white model on their website yet.

15. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Technically (18) versions right?

Black/White

16GB/32GB/64GB

WiFi/ATT 3G/Verizon 3G

16. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

You just buy one of the Apple Care retail boxes and activate it online when you get home. Target has them right next to the iPads in the accessories section, so no worries for you there. =)

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

Oh that's right.

18. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

Just be careful - this is what Best Buy said when the original iPad 3G model went on sale at 5pm on a Friday.
    Then what happened was they DID end up handing out vouchers in the morning to those in line. They got to come back at 5pm and buy the iPad. This angered a lot of people.
    So again, be careful.

19. thebubbatex macrumors regular

I went buy my local BB today and was told basically the same thing. No vouchers, first come, first served.

I have a BB, a Target and a WalMart all within 1/4 mile of each other. Hopefully one of them will come through!