How do the networks know I'm tethering!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ReflexReact, Jun 26, 2010.

1. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

On my old 3G, the option to tether wasn't enabled. It is on my iPhone 4. When I enable it, and tether, the tethering usage numbers increase.

My question: how does vodafone know I am doing this? Do they know past my just using data? If I'm not paying £5 a month for 1gb data, will they charge me for doing this? If so, how much?

I suspect they don't know, and would only get suspect if I went over my maximum allowed data each month...

2. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

3. wishman35 macrumors regular

4. tuatha macrumors regular

I don't know the mechanics of it but I believe your phone reports tethering usage to the network.

The carriers in the US in particular aren't keen on it, apparently, so Apple built this in to the software (open to correction on this)

Android users are still managing to fly under the radar with tethering, but when wireless tethering arrives with FroYo this may very well change...

5. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't really answer any of my questions

6. chembox macrumors 6502a

7. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

But voda have only announced tethering bolt ons that you need to sign up for. They haven't told me of any specific payg tethering pricing ...

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I don't know how it works for you, but here Rogers has two different APNs programmed into their carrier settings... one is rogers-core-appl1.apn for normal browsing and another for use while tethering

9. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, does anyone in uk have experience with what happens if you tether without buying a tethering bolt on? Can they really tell it's different data?

10. danb77 macrumors 6502

In ios 4 there is a separate usage counter for tethered data. The iPhone must be labelling the tethered packets somehow.

PS Why is ios not in the autocorrect dictionary of, ahem, ios...

11. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes but how would the network charge for this? Separately from your inclusive data? As I say, ive not got a tethering bolt on, but can't see how they'd not allow it as part of my allowance..