Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Recent relevant article with some interesting points of view, including a quote from Walt Mossberg:

"In the last couple of years […] I’ve noticed a gradual degradation in the quality and reliability of Apple’s core apps, on both the mobile iOS operating system and its Mac OS X platform. It’s almost as if the tech giant has taken its eye off the ball when it comes to these core software products, while it pursues big new dreams, like smartwatches and cars."

https://9to5mac.com/2016/02/15/apple-app-bugs-opinion/amp/

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
Because of copyright issue?
We still can take SS from elsewhere regardless.
Except... what you paid for smh
[doublepost=1476059928][/doublepost]
Recent relevant article with some interesting points of view, including a quote from Walt Mossberg:

"In the last couple of years […] I’ve noticed a gradual degradation in the quality and reliability of Apple’s core apps, on both the mobile iOS operating system and its Mac OS X platform. It’s almost as if the tech giant has taken its eye off the ball when it comes to these core software products, while it pursues big new dreams, like smartwatches and cars."

https://9to5mac.com/2016/02/15/apple-app-bugs-opinion/amp/
That's why I'm telling people these companies should not be working on autocars. People have already died and many more will if they release their crap software for use such as this.

You'd have to be a fool to get inside an automatically driving car made by Apple or Google.

They can't even do the basic stuff, they can't even get that right.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Except... what you paid for smh
[doublepost=1476059928][/doublepost]
That's why I'm telling people these companies should not be working on autocars. People have already died and many more will if they release their crap software for use such as this.

You'd have to be a fool to get inside an automatically driving car made by Apple or Google.

They can't even do the basic stuff, they can't even get that right.
I wouldn't get in a self driving car, technology is not there. But I enjoy using my iPhone such that a cell phone is mostly indispensable these days. So IMO they did get that right.

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
I wouldn't get in a self driving car, technology is not there. But I enjoy using my iPhone such that a cell phone is mostly indispensable these days. So IMO they did get that right.

No they haven't. Even the clipboard system in iOS is broken. You can't even select, copy and paste without it freezing or pausing like it's thinking.

Siri's a joke. iTunes is crap. I mean I could name all of Apple's negatives and failures all day long.

So when I hear something about Apple trying to make a self-driving car, I just laugh.

And I still haven't gotten an answer to why the same bugs keep coming back time after time. People tried to explain it but they haven't explained or very well.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No they haven't. Even the clipboard system in iOS is broken. You can't even select, copy and paste without it freezing or pausing like it's thinking.

Siri's a joke. iTunes is crap. I mean I could name all of Apple's negatives and failures all day long.

So when I hear something about Apple trying to make a self-driving car, I just laugh.

And I still haven't gotten an answer to why the same bugs keep coming back time after time. People tried to explain it but they haven't explained or very well.
I don't know I am not having these issues. Your rant on Siri is an opinion and I like iTunes and I don't see where bugs keep coming back.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Can't say I've dealt with most of those copy/cut/paste issues.

The bugs are a reality or any software company out there. Even existing car companies have them.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Nope, don't recognise any of those issues, for me iOS is a 99.9% functioning workhorse that I can and do rely on. Clearly YMMV but your opinion and "issues", to your degree, doesn't seem at all widespread. Just sayin'

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
We really have to get back to the crux of the issue, the meat. And the meat of the matter is certain elements of iOS (the clipboard as the prime example) these elements are not refined. And the reason I'm saying they're not refined is because, whenever there's a new update, there's always an issue to report about how it's not doing this, and it's not doing that, and it's crashing Safari. But it'll get fixed. But then as soon as a new version of iOS comes out, we're right back at it again.

Another prime example I'm talking about is the the keyboard. People know that iOS 10 brought with it autocorrect problems. Now how does something like that get through? And I'm not talking on a public beta! I'm talking official release. Something like that shouldn't be something we're dealing with.

The iPhone 7 issues with the lightning headphones being unusable, that issue, the one MacRumors reported on. Another prime example. You can tell they didn't test anything before they put it out, they just released it. That's obvious.

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Get em trifid! Yeah, have you noticed? The older phones start acting up suspiciously right around the time the new ones come out. Every time.

I could see a lawsuit happening because of that.
Not exactly this time. Seems the iP7 is running worse than the older 6s! The 6s seems to be running iOS 10 pretty well.

Also guys, I think you here are missing the point. Things like cell service not working on a CELL PHONE really?!? And wifi issues? Is wifi a new technology? There really is no excuse for some of these types of issues that come up like OP said just about every new version. New or changed features, of course there will be some issues. Thats understandable and expected. But some of this stuff is just totally nuts how they let it slip through. as stated after its been working perfectly. The real issue isn't that iOS is so complicated that they cant make it work for x.x.x versions as some here have stated, but more that they release an OS for a cell phone that breaks the ability to make calls! If a new iOS X is being built for a cellular device then make damn sure it can connect to the cellular service and make phone calls before its released. And a keyboard that has an ABC and 123 version that has worked from iOS 1 until iOS 10.0 beta 7 THEN at release date going out to millions its broken? And remains so 5 versions later? No excuse sorry guys.

Now disclaimer. I am not an Apple hater/troll whatever, you guys have seen most of my posts so you know that but some of this conversation is warranted you cannot argue that fact. Its really kooky how some of this crap happens over and over and over mostly with basic stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: freepomme

freepomme

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
Not exactly this time. Seems the iP7 is running worse than the older 6s! The 6s seems to be running iOS 10 pretty well.

Also guys, I think you here are missing the point. Thinks like cell service not working on a CELL PHONE really?!? And wifi issues? Is wifi a new technology? There really is no excuse for some of these types of issues that come up like OP said just about every new version. New or changed features, of course there will be some issues. Thats understandable and expected. But some of this stuff is just totally nuts how they let it slip through. as stated after its been working perfectly. The real issue isn't that iOS is so complicated that they cant make it work for x.x.x versions as some here have stated, but more that they release an OS for a cell phone that breaks the ability to make calls! If a new iOS X is being built for a cellular device then make damn sure it can connect to the cellular service and make phone calls before its released. And a keyboard that has an ABC and 123 version that has worked from iOS 1 until iOS 10.0 beta 7 THEN at release date going out to millions its broken? And remains so 5 versions later? No excuse sorry guys.

Now disclaimer. I am not an Apple hater/troll whatever, you guys have seen most of my posts so you know that but some of this conversation is warranted you cannot argue that fact. Its really kooky how some of this crap happens over and over and over mostly with basic stuff.

...After reading your insightful post, I'm enlightened. I've figured out the answer to my own question. It just hit me like an epiphany.

The reason that you see the same bugs, glitches and freezes in the operating system's basic concepts and fundamental elements... the reason you keep experiencing bugs that—which even a novice developer would classify as old hat—the reason we're being met with glitches...

The reason why you keep seeing all these showstopping bugs with each iOS release... the reason why this consistently keeps happening... How even the cellular code wasn't prepared and how the lighting headphones weren't prepared... The reason why, is this:

They're spending all their time refining emojis.

... I'm gonna let that sink in.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbailey4

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
In my country i have pretty much 2 options:

Going Samsung:

1) Forget about constant firmwares updates like Apple, pretty much the same firmware version for the rest of the device's life

2) Altered firmware by the local telephone company (full of bloatware)

or

Going Apple:

1) Untouched and clean firmware

2) Constant ios updates but as the op said each new mayor ios release = bugs, battery issues, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.