How do they install the software on 7 million iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

It popped into my head last night after reading an article saying 6-7 million iphones will be produced for release day. With no GM release of iOS 5 yet and all these phones being manufactured how do they install the software onto the phone when its ready?

Is there some streamlined process other than how we install the software? Do they actually check each one after its installed?

Usually the GM is released at the announcement, then two weeks later the phone is released. That is a lot of software installs for a two week period!

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would assume that the GM build is installed on the phones before it is released to everyone else. Just because we are getting the GM on the announcement day doesn't mean Apple finished it that day. I also wam pretty positive they have a more efficient way of installing IOS than connecting each iPhone to iTunes and syncing them individually like we have to.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There's your answer.

The software will be finished before it is released.

4. tann macrumors 68000

I thought this too, I honestly don't know how they do it :p. Would be funny if they employ an extra million people to each do a few phones a day by connecting them to itunes on their computers lol.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The same way they've done it on every other release where the new device coincided with the new software? Am I missing something here or are you just ignoring the fact that it's part of the manufacturing process?

7. Shockwave78 thread starter macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

So what your telling me is " I don't know either"

You didn't need to add all that fluff to your response making it seem like you are some iPhone god that knows all. Your reponse says nothing other than you have not the slightest idea either

8. barachus macrumors regular

Loll

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

"It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it!"

Good quesiton. No idea.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hmmmm, didn't think I implied that, nor that I'm some kid of god (do those thing even exist?). You're right, I guess they could have people individually loading software on each device, but, not being a god, that doesn't really make sense to me. Again, I would assume that the software loadout would happen during the manufacturing process which leads me to believe that they'll do it the same way this time.

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

The GM is available to Apple, and finished, long before the public (Or developers) get access to it.

They slowly load it onto every iPhone.

I'm sure they have something like an assembly line where all manufactured iPhones move down the line (Completely mechanized), and a machine moves the iPhone into a plug quickly, and then waits xxx minutes for the software to load, and then pulls it out and puts it back into the assembly line?

12. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Wanna find out?

Mail in your application along with CV and cover letters to the following address:

Foxconn, 富士康科技集團, 600912富士康科技集团鴻海精密, 工業股份有限公司富士康科技集團富士康科技集团鴻海精密工業股份有限公司富士康科技集團富士康股份有限公司, Taiwan

13. HeezyBear macrumors regular

The question isn't when, it's how.

14. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well the assumption would be the phones are loaded during the manufacturing process with the latest iOS they have, doesnt mean its the latest version the public has, they would not make 7 Million phones than update the iOS then update 7 Million phones

16. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

The thing is, the iPhone 5s haven't been packaged yet! So that they can easily install the final build of iOS 5 to them.

So i'm sure there's a gigantic conveyer belt which carries the iPhone and they individually just sync iOS 5 into them... it does sound pretty tedious.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is part of the final production process and fully automated.

18. Megakazbek macrumors regular

They just copy system image on flash memory inside phone, what's the problem?

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

So...do I need one stamp or two?

20. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

There has to be something on it first though...

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Maybe they have a custom process or chain all of the iphones to this huge dock and it installs the software on all of them at the same time :D

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

You never know until you're either managing it or doing it :)

23. j0shimself macrumors newbie

j0shimself

lmfao!!!!

24. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

7 million usb cables, 7 million computers and 7 million Chinese workers. Only takes a few minutes. :D

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Copying a raw image usually works great on hard disks and ROMs.

It won't work with the type of Flash memory used in the iPhone, because there are random bad blocks from the factory.

The best you can do is burn a relatively small boot loader into the one block guaranteed to be good. It can then load the OS from good blocks that are probably scattered around. (On more limited or older phones, even the OS boot loader can be too big, so you burn in a tiny 1K or so preloader that will then load the real boot loader.)

--

If we were talking about smaller device quantities, then I'd say that what's put in the memory chip (before manufacturing puts the chip inside the phone) would just be the boot loader.

If they're already making millions of phones, I'd be more willing to bet that the entire final OS version is already set in stone and individually copied to the chips ahead of being inserted at the factory.

Who knows. Perhaps Apple has a line entirely dedicated to slowly updating every phone. I'm pretty sure they've previously done mass updates after manufacturing but before selling.