How do to feel about the sleep/wake button on the side?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Doctor11, Apr 16, 2014.

?

Where do you want the sleep/wake button?

1. Leave it on the top

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Move it to the side

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. I don't care either way

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

How would you feel if the next iPhone had the sleep/wake button on the side on the Phone? I can not even begin to tell you how mad I would be. It's just so instinct to press it on the top. I really don't want the next iPhone to have it on the side.

2. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Never gonna happen after all the stuff apple dragged Samsung through over stealing similar traits. Samsung has a side button..

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

First, they'll have to put it into my warm, live hand.

The only reason for the move would be ergonomics. If it feels good, if a top button is a stretch for people with smaller hands... why not?

Which brings us to poll option 4... "none of the above" or "whatever works best."

4. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

I don't think theyll be doing that anytime soon. The power button on top is just natural for the hand and Apple wont stray away from that.

5. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

personal preference I rather have it on the top, I have a nexus 7 that has it on the side and hate it!

on a side note, I wish Apple would stop messing with the headphone port on every generation/device.

my history

started with ipod touch (port on bottom right)
    moved to Iphone 4s (upper left)
    Iphone 5 and on now have it on the bottom :rolleyes:

and of course my nexus is bottom right grrrr....

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

It would make a lot more sense on the iPad versus iPhone, but I would hate it. I don't think the current iPhone is big enough to justify it being on the side. It's just so instinctive for me to hit the button with my index finger. It's just like on the iPod touch(prior to 4th gen). I was so used to hitting it on the left side of the device it was hard to get used to it on the other side, but I font think I could get used to it being on the side.

7. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

If the next iPhone is bigger, having the button on top would be very annoying. You don't know how annoying until you've used a 4.7+" phone with the button on top. On a 5.5" phone, having the button on the side is simply necessary.

Having the button on the side is completely fine, you get used to it in a day and then you don't accidentally press the volume buttons any longer (given that they are on the opposite side). Trust me - I thought the side button would be annoying but after one day with my Note 2 I was used to it and didn't question it any longer.

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I think it would be annoying on the current size of the iPhone.

9. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Oh, on the current one for sure :) I wrote my post in response to the OP who asked about the next iPhone, which I think we're all by now presuming will be bigger.

10. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I still hate the idea of it on the side. Do not want it at all. And I have no problem with it being on the top on a 5.5 inch phone cuz you can just let it slide in your hand to the top of they phone but if apple puts it on the side(don't do that apple) put it on the left side somewhere that in one hand use I will be able to press instantly. But then in that case all I have to say to left handed people is "it sucks to be you" and "sorry your left handed."

11. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think having the button on the side right where your thumb rests is much better on a larger screen. If Apple decides to make the change, they probably tested it and it was shown to be a good choice.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I had a HTC One for about 6 months, and aside drone the horrible camera, I also disliked the sleep/wake button placement.

The 4.7" iPhone will likely be a similar size, a sleep/wake button on the side is a good thing.

13. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

the 5s is a small phone and you use less of your hand to hold it, so a power button on the top is comfortable.

a larger iPhone 6 will take up more space in your hand, and a power button on the right side makes the most sense.