how do u upgrade 4.2.1 to iOS 5 while keeping the software unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dextor143, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

I have Iphone 4 with 1.59.00 baseband and currently I am running 4.2.1. I software unlocked it and ever since than kept my bb secured.

I have been searching online but no one has shown me that they have upgraded the software without upgrading the BB and keeping the unlocked feature(software unlock)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SR

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

iOS 5.0 only has a tethered JB available.
    So unless you want to deal with that I'd stay at 4.2.1 for now till an untethered solution is released.

3. Dextor143 thread starter macrumors 6502

^ is that means, once the unthethared solution is released, I can just upgrade while keeping my BB down to 1.59.00. will that keep my software unlock feature still active?

thanks again.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no you will always have to your the update firmware while preserving your baseband method

what applejuice is saying is the jailbreak for iOS 5 is tether right now and thats not as appealing to some as an untethered jailbreak

but you must always follow the steps to preserve you baseband regardless if you update now and use the tethered jailbreak or wait to do it when a untethered has been released

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you will have to update using a custom JB ipsw that maintains your unlockable baseband.
    If you ever update to stock firmware your unlock will be lost forever.