How do USB hubs work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by idonotliketostu, Nov 11, 2010.

1. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Say I have a USB hub that splits 1 port into two. Does it use a controller to manage the extra port? Or is it just wired up in parallel and the motherboard handles the data and etc?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is like a splice in the line. Some do have chips so that each port has full bandwidth capabilities, but most share the bandwidth.

TEG

3. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay so you're saying that I can just solder this onto a usb port from the inside and I plug in a printer, the OS will be able to recognize the separate accessories?

[​IMG]

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah dude it has a chip inside the hub that handles the data, its just not wired in parallel.

5. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

This info is conflicting with the first guy. Then I gotta buy the smaller hub ever and wire it with the webcam wires.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

are you trying to mod this receiver inside your macbook or something?

7. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. When I'm in desktop mode, the cinema display and the mouse reciever take both the usb ports. It's a hassle whenever I want to print something.

From Razer Copperheads and Diamondbacks to the Apple Magic and Mighty mouse, logitech's dark field mice are the best i've used.

On a side note, i just realize why Razer name them after snakes, because their mice eats other mice :p

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

10. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

I just found out my display has 3 usb ports! After 1 year! WTF! :eek:

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You cannot wire multiple USB devices to one set of wires, it will NOT work. All USB hubs require a chip that does the protocol translation from one to multi ports. If you try to connect multiple things to one port they will conflict with each other and additionally draw too much power on the lines and cause the port to be shut down. Fortunately the USB ports are smart enough to shut down the power before burning things out.

All USB end points are single device endpoints (although they may have multiple logical endpoints). This means that from the port to the device is only one physical connection. Hubs have a special protocol that makes them "transparent" to the host and allows for passing of data between multiple devices. Thus you MUST use a USB hub to get more USB ports.

I'm glad to see that the monitor has more ports for you, and thus you've solved your problem. But just want to make it clear for everyone, don't try wiring multiple things to one USB port.

12. blackreplica macrumors member

i think this takes the cake for most-unaware-of-features post ever