Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hey guys, I need to know the steps involved in moving from a 3G to a 3GS when you are not doing it in store.

My friend is a artist and his band has a deal with target and they all got free 3GS's mailed directly to them so he wants to switch from his current 3G to his new 3GS.

I'm assuming he would do a backup of his 3G in itunes then plug in the 3GS and do a restore from back up but what I'm not clear on is how the activation part will work (they did my activation at the ATT store).

Anybody know?? Thanks!

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Back it up.
Swap Sim cards.
Restore.

That should be it. If activation is required (I can't remember), there will be a screen on the phone that guides you through the steps.

I did the same thing when I upgraded from a 3G to a 3GS.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Hey guys, I need to know the steps involved in moving from a 3G to a 3GS when you are not doing it in store.

My friend is a artist and his band has a deal with target and they all got free 3GS's mailed directly to them so he wants to switch from his current 3G to his new 3GS.

I'm assuming he would do a backup of his 3G in itunes then plug in the 3GS and do a restore from back up but what I'm not clear on is how the activation part will work (they did my activation at the ATT store).

Anybody know?? Thanks!

I think worse case, call up ATT.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I think worse case, call up ATT.

Hopefully I don't have to resort to that....I HATE talking to att...wrong information on my companies corporate plan from those people has cost me uncountable hours trying to fix it.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
whenever you do a restore without a sim card installed it will tell you to the phone has not been activated. install a sim card and it will activate. I have not done a brand new 3Gs because mine was activated at the store but I bet it works the same way. just backup the 3G, then restore the 3Gs,(it may need make you restore it) and activate it. then restore it from the 3G and you should be good to go.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
As everyone else has said, put a SIM in, plug in to iTunes, it will activate automatically and then restore the data from the backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.